Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Very Large Coaxial Connector

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
I bought a high-power military dummy load today - just because it was interesting, and the price was right. The load is water-cooled for power up to 2500W - and has heat sink fins to allow loading without water-cooling below 200W. There are 3 selectable ranges - 100W; 500W and 2500W. Selection is by a set of shorting plugs, attached with chains. The load input is a coaxial connector I'm not familiar with - about 1 inch in diameter. It came with an adapter to allow use of an 'N' coax connector - so testing wasn't a problem. The problem is that the data plate has been removed - so I don't have a model number to work with - and I would like to know the nomenclature of the large connector, so I can look for other adapters. Anyone familiar with this type connector - or this type of load? Thanks!

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hey Ralph

does it look like this one.....
a seriously oversized N connector

if so then its the 7/16 DIN connector :) rated to 7.5GHz

cheers
Dave N

Attachments

• Din.jpg
    Din.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 378

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
Thanks for the response Dave. This one looks more like an oversized version of an SO-239 - but about the same height, so it appears shallower in scale. I'll try to get a picture of the unit, connector and adapter tonight - I've been pretty busy over the weekend trying to get a large machine ready to ship.

EDIT - As a note - I noticed during a quick internet search this morning that my load very closely resembles several Bird Technologies "Termaline" coaxial load resistors. It is so similar mechanically to their 8230 series, that I have little doubt that it was built by Bird. The output area is more complicated, with the switchable loads and signal sample taps - but the design is otherwise the same. Looked on Bird's website - but this model isn't shown.

Last edited:

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
I pulled the bird datasheet for that series of loads and they referenced a connector called the Bird QC (quick connect). Doing a search on that I found this picture. Is that close?

Attachments

• bird.JPG
    bird.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 182

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
That one looks to me from the photo to be pretty similar to an 'N' connector, Nick. The 'big one' has an insulator section that is flush, or almost flush with the inner conductor and outer shell, as I recall. Like a massive UHF connector. Thanks for looking for me - I never spotted that one.

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
Here is a quick shot of the load and connector. A measurement over the major diameter of the connector threads is 1.122 - just under 28.5mm - so I guess it's a 1.125 inch connector - as opposed to my first "eyeball estimate" of 1 inch.

Attachments

• Load 002.jpg
    Load 002.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 219

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Here is a quick shot of the load and connector. A measurement over the major diameter of the connector threads is 1.122 - just under 28.5mm - so I guess it's a 1.125 inch connector - as opposed to my first "eyeball estimate" of 1 inch.

hmmmm I have seen many many different RF connectors but thats a new one for me
thanks for the pic ya got me stumped :p hahaha

Dave