Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soldering.

josesaucedo

Nov 10, 2010
Good morning folks. Im new in this forum as well in this field. Im electrician and have to tell that I dont know that much about electronics, just the basic class I took in college as part of my electrician program. Anyway, I have a question about soldering. I have an amplifier that I needed to change a pot, so I got a newone and changed it out, but the amplifier did not work. Is it possible I damaged the pot with the heat of my soldering iron? thats basically my question. Thank you.

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
Good morning folks. Im new in this forum as well in this field. Im electrician and have to tell that I dont know that much about electronics, just the basic class I took in college as part of my electrician program. Anyway, I have a question about soldering. I have an amplifier that I needed to change a pot, so I got a newone and changed it out, but the amplifier did not work. Is it possible I damaged the pot with the heat of my soldering iron? thats basically my question. Thank you.

Might be worth checking if any of the contacts on the board have broken. And what wattage/temperature is your soldering iron? It is possible to have damaged the potentiometer with too much heat, I recommend checking it with a multimeter.

=)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you can give us a picture of your work and describe the symptoms both before and after your attempted fix, we may be able to suggest something more.

josesaucedo

Nov 10, 2010
Thank you.
I have attached a picture of the board I changed the pot from. The pot in the black border shape and also I was thinking about the other component in the red shape that I might had damaged that too with the soldering iron.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• c7feeb4a42bf103f57d6ef783fec91a5.jpg
    c7feeb4a42bf103f57d6ef783fec91a5.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 140

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
Thank you.
I have attached a picture of the board I changed the pot from. The pot in the black border shape and also I was thinking about the other component in the red shape that I might had damaged that too with the soldering iron.

Thank you again.

Could you tell us the temperature/wattage of your soldering iron?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
More important might be to see the other side of the board.

Let's see the soldering :)

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
More important might be to see the other side of the board.

Let's see the soldering :)

Yeah, a nice clear closeup, and also of the old pot(s) you took out (if you haven't thrown it away already). Might be some clues there too.