Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Generators/Solar Cells in series or Parallel?

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
Hallo everyone.

Im new here at electronicspoint, i have something in mind that i would like to try out.

now i understand i can add batteries in series and parallel so as capacitors but is it possibile to add solar panels in series or parallel? and generators aslo?

would the concept of batteries and capacitors also apply to them both?
series: increase voltage?
parallel: increase current?

and do is the wiring the same?

- Sammy

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
solar panels are often connected in series or parallel. But like batteries, the weakest cell essentially determines the output current or voltage. Most solar panels are actually a collection of cells in a series/parallel arrangement. With batteries, a weak cell can get hot or damaged, with solar panels a panel in shade can get hot or damaged.

Generators are often connected in parallel. Think o your typical power generation plant. It effectively puts all generators on the grid in parallel with each other. You have to take very careful steps to ensure that they remain locked in phase with each other. In theory you could do the same with generators in series, but nobody ever does (AFAIK).

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
solar panels are often connected in series or parallel. But like batteries, the weakest cell essentially determines the output current or voltage. Most solar panels are actually a collection of cells in a series/parallel arrangement. With batteries, a weak cell can get hot or damaged, with solar panels a panel in shade can get hot or damaged.

Generators are often connected in parallel. Think o your typical power generation plant. It effectively puts all generators on the grid in parallel with each other. You have to take very careful steps to ensure that they remain locked in phase with each other. In theory you could do the same with generators in series, but nobody ever does (AFAIK).

I'll probably stick to parallel i need a high current output. But how can I ensure they remain locked in phase?

and im planning on wiring them the exact same way as these capacitors here in parallel:
Capacitors_in_parallel.svg

is that the right way?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You're connecting generators in parallel?

You need to precisely control their speed so that the shafts turn at exactly the same speed.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
can you imagine 3 240v AC generators all passed through a diode and rectified and then placed in series...... Jacobs Ladder anyone? :D

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
You're connecting generators in parallel?

You need to precisely control their speed so that the shafts turn at exactly the same speed.

Yes, hopefully i'll maintain the seed of the shafts going at the same time.

I'll try series after i'm done with the parallel ones and see whats best.(i think its parallel but well'c)

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
can you imagine 3 240v AC generators all passed through a diode and rectified and then placed in series...... Jacobs Ladder anyone? :D

no worries their not rated at high voltages. Im testing this with lower voltages generators to avoid any danger or major damages until i understand how it works then try it out on bigger generators and the chance that i'll wire them in series is highly unlikely.

twister

Feb 12, 2012
no worries their not rated at high voltages. Im testing this with lower voltages generators to avoid any danger or major damages until i understand how it works then try it out on bigger generators and the chance that i'll wire them in series is highly unlikely.

You can't hook two AC generators in parallel unless they are in phase, or you will have two burnt out generators!

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
You can't hook two AC generators in parallel unless they are in phase, or you will have two burnt out generators!

If you mean by the speed of shafts they will hopefully going the same.
If you mean the type of phase their all 1 phased.

And finally I'll be working on DC generators at lower voltages from 12 - 24 MAX.
to avoid problems and they are what i have available right now.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you mean by the speed of shafts they will hopefully going the same.
If you mean the type of phase their all 1 phased.

Not just speed but exact position.

If you marked the same position on each, they would need to remain tightly in step with less than half a degree difference.

This is done in power stations, but pretty much nowhere else. Unless you're talking about megawatt sized generators, they're unlikely to have the ability to do this.

And finally I'll be working on DC generators at lower voltages from 12 - 24 MAX.
to avoid problems and they are what i have available right now.

DC generators are less of a problem. Isolate them with diodes and you will have fewer difficulties putting them in parallel. In series it's a slightly different matter.

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
DC generators are less of a problem. Isolate them with diodes and you will have fewer difficulties putting them in parallel. In series it's a slightly different matter..

where should I place the diodes? directly with the generators output?

what other difficulties should i consider? i will place the generators in different directions their close to one another but not the same direction could that be a problem?

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
is it possibile to wire the generators like this:

2x12VoltinParallel.gif

But I have more then one generator so this can go on and on right? And I will add a diode on the + side of the generators as "Steve" said to do.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
For a really technical answer, look here. (You want section 20, about half way through)

But I think it's likely that you're not planning on running a power station.

I would recommend appropriately rated diodes between the +ve output and your cable marked as "To +12V"

These will drop between 1 and 2 volts, but will prevent one generator from trying to drive another one.

However it won't prevent one generator from trying to hog the load. And that may be harder to do, especially considering the way you're wiring the generators. At the very least you should take a separate (same length) lead from each generator to a single point.

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
For a really technical answer, look here. (You want section 20, about half way through)

But I think it's likely that you're not planning on running a power station.

I would recommend appropriately rated diodes between the +ve output and your cable marked as "To +12V"

These will drop between 1 and 2 volts, but will prevent one generator from trying to drive another one.

However it won't prevent one generator from trying to hog the load. And that may be harder to do, especially considering the way you're wiring the generators. At the very least you should take a separate (same length) lead from each generator to a single point.

well the generators will be close to each other i'll try to give them a bit more space and see how it goes on.

I'll also add diodes between each generator to avoid what you said.
But i'll test it out and see whats the outcome if i can solve the problems thats fine if not i'll be back and give you all the update.

-Sammy

Last edited:

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
For a really technical answer, look here. (You want section 20, about half way through) .

yea the links not working

and the voltage drop will it effect the current as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I've fixed the link

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Weird. Don't worry it's not particularly relevant.

Haxor

Mar 28, 2012
Weird. Don't worry it's not particularly relevant.

ah ok...

Im starting to draw the schematics for my circuit now and i will work on them soon. Thanks Steve for the help so far. I'll keep this post updated from my progress hopefully i'll achieve a good a perfect output and will answer this post by my own let it be an experiment.

- Sammy