Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wanted: PIC programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I am looking for a PIC programmer like the pickit2/3. Something that is compatible with MPLAB is preferable. Maybe someone bought one and now has no use for it. I will be willing to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

Or at the very least, does anyone know where I can get one for $20 bucks or less. I am not looking for a brand new pickit3 for $50 bucks on ebay.

Danboy

Mar 9, 2012
Jacko..

Are you looking just for the PIC programming disk, or something more involved with the programming.
I do have the program disk. No Bucks....

Danboy (melbourne - Australia)

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I am actually looking for the hardware programmer so I can do serial programming.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You can get a brand new Sure Electronics Pickit 2 clone on Ebay for $20 delivered...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You can get a brand new Sure Electronics Pickit 2 clone on Ebay for $20 delivered...

I have one of these and it seems to work just like the real thing.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I have one of these and it seems to work just like the real thing.
Since the schematics and firmware are available to the public, the clones should work equally well as they are essentially identical... I wouldn't hesitate at all about purchasing a clone if I was in the market, but I favor my USB programmers and USB development boards with integrated programers it just simplifies things...

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Since the schematics and firmware are available to the public, the clones should work equally well as they are essentially identical... I wouldn't hesitate at all about purchasing a clone if I was in the market, but I favor my USB programmers and USB development boards with integrated programers it just simplifies things...

Do they still have the debugging capabilities? Recommend a USB programmer! I would pay for something if I knew how well it worked. Not knowing is what keeps me from spending money on a device that may or may not be what I want. Can I use any of these programmers with mikroC or MPLAB or do they require their own software for uploading to the PIC?

Thanks for the tip

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Well what works for me might not work for you, I don't use MPLAB so I can't offer any assistance...

For MikroC get their Easypic developers board it's worth every penny, I have version 3 and 5 even though I don't actually use their compilers that often...

Recently I have been using a H-Dragon QL200 development board for most things, hardly top of the line and it has it's quirks but it works OK, can't say why it's become my go to developing board and programmer but it has...

For unique packages that need an adapter or for in circuit programming I use the Melabs U2 programmer...

As I said no experience with MPLAB so no input there...

Last edited:

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Now I am wondering what I want to do. I was thinking of just buying the programmer, but the development board would be nice in that I don't have to buy a lot of extras just to get started.

One quick question, what does the ICSP port accomplish?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010

In Circuit Serial Programming.

You place a header on your board (or maybe just pads) and after taking a few precautions about the way you use a couple of pins, you can update the software without having to remove the chip. Very handy for surface mount devices that have a bazzillion leads and where a socket costs far more than the chip!

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Very handy for surface mount devices that have a bazzillion leads and where a socket costs far more than the chip!

Even cheaper than a socket or jack, I generally just place standard spaced pads or small vias on the board, and use a custom pogo-pin loaded press to contact jack, no additional cost and easy onboard firmware upgrades... I also just recently built a quick and dirty 'hat' type jack that pressure fits over DIP chips for ICSP on a project I just did that needed a last minute firmware upgrade for a few hundred units...

Status
Not open for further replies.