Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need assistance with a project

nakka101

Apr 17, 2012
Hi! I'm someone you would call computer savvy, but honestly i've only touched a soldering iron around 10 times. So i'm a baby in this department. My brother asked me if i could put together a board with a processing unit that can produce a sound at 20khz, with a 12v input, that can transmit that sound over usb. Where would i get started with this?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
That sounds not very logical to me:
First you produce a 20 kHz sine wave (sound or better ultrasound) from a 12 V source. Then you downconvert it to 5 V to make is USB compatible, digitize it, put it in USB data frames, transmit it to probably a PC. On the PC you restore the sound from the USB data packets, what then? Output sound via the soundcard.

I think I missed something in your description. Can you trya to explain in a bit more detail where the sound shall come from? Where it has to go? What are the input and output devices?

Harald

nakka101

Apr 17, 2012
First off, thank you harald for taking the time to reply. I knew i would be missing some information on my initial post because truly have no idea what i'm doing, but I'm a very fast learner! I believe the sound is going to be coming from a PA of some kind, and i'm pretty sure the usb is going to some other device that my brother's partner has built. What all do i need to know to tell you what you need to know to help get me started? Of course any assistance is GREATLY appreciated, i know how frustrating it is to help a newbie with something.

nakka101

Apr 17, 2012
Ok i have a little better description i think. i'm supposed to be replacing a frequency generator by utilizing an Arduino chip in order to run it with a 12v battery through a transistor bank.

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Still makes no sense. Why not have your brother describe what he is trying to do wihout you filtering it.

Bob

nakka101

Apr 17, 2012
Can i just have a moderator close this thread? I'll be back when I'm more prepared.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Can i just have a moderator close this thread? I'll be back when I'm more prepared.

no need to close the thread....:)
when you come back just continue on in this same thread
we will all be interested to see what is actually required

cheers
Dave