Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar powered security camera

gbrown100

May 18, 2012
Hey guys,

I have a storage box on an allotment that did hold 120amps of 12v batteries powered by a solar panel. Thieving watsits keep stealing the batteries. The police are dusting for prints as they botched it first time but i want to show them some faces!!! (idiots keep coming back and ransacking thinking the batteries will come back!)

I have a mobile phone that will detect movement and upload photos to the web via 3g powered by said batteries but i need to give them a reason to look at the camera. I have a 9 volt battery powered shed alarm that will go off when they open the door and i plan to have the unit next to the camera. It has a pre alarm buzzer that goes off in the unit but i don't know whether it uses 9v or is stepped down.

I need help, i need to find a way to have a switch detect the buzzer is sounding and fire up an led lamp to shine on the thieves powered by the solar array. This should both attract their attention and give the camera something to see if it is dark. Can anyone here advise how i can do this? I am not an electronics whizz just a ****ed off middle aged IT geek lol.

Cheers

Graham

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
i need to give them a reason to look at the camera.

when they open the door

Look no further than you next breath, aim at the door from inside and outside... Even better put a simple red LED next to the camera and leave it on, I'll bet they look directly at it like a deer in headlights...

fire up an led lamp to shine on the thieves powered by the solar array. This should both attract their attention and give the camera something to see if it is dark.

And something more they can steal since it becomes blatantly obvious... The camera it self really needs to be covert, or else I suspect they will just take that as well...

You can get little pinhole spy cameras from Asia for pretty damn cheap, most of them will have some IR range that will work in near darkness... You can further illuminate with more IR LEDs that are invisible to the human eye but not to the camera... These are easy to conceal as they are small... There are also pretty reasonable mini digital DVRs now to capture the images... Even cheap baby monitors work in the dark and are wireless...

As for power you will still need to provide that and hide it, I don't know your situation so I can't suggest a place to hide or conceal it, but it shouldn't be too hard...

Last edited:

gbrown100

May 18, 2012
Thanks for the thoughts. These people are after stuff for scrap. They left my charge controller, solar panel and tools in the same box. I honestly dont give a monkeys if they steal the phone since the photo will already be uploaded and because then i'll be able to gps track the morons as well... All i need is a way to get my light shining when the alarm goes off!