Maker Pro
Maker Pro

converting a dc voltage to a percentage

wbilotta

Jun 7, 2012
This might sound like a strange request but I need to build a circuit that will tap into the throttle wire on my motorcycle and convert the .5 to 3.70 voltage to a percentage and display it. What I'm trying to do is see what percentage of throttle I'm using while cruising at different speeds. I will use this data to help tune the aftermarket fuel processor.

Ideas ? I tried searching online but had no luck.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You need an analog to digital converter... I'd probably just use a small micro to do it on the quick and dirty...

Have you looked into handheld plug in processors for you bike? I have see 'unofficial' software ported to Blackberry phones and even other phones that interface many motorcycle processors... I have similar software for my Buell that works wonderful and only required a slightly proprietary cable to interface to the bike, install something like that to one of the new mini laptops and you will get lots of info...

krawczuk

Mar 20, 2011
This might sound like a strange request but I need to build a circuit that will tap into the throttle wire on my motorcycle and convert the .5 to 3.70 voltage to a percentage and display it. What I'm trying to do is see what percentage of throttle I'm using while cruising at different speeds. I will use this data to help tune the aftermarket fuel processor.

Ideas ? I tried searching online but had no luck.

hi, , might be something in silicons chip " electronic projects for cars "

mark k

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
Could I suggest something really low tech.

Mark the throttle out with 100 evenly spaced dots or dashes, right next to the switch-block that its attached to, then put a pointer on switch block at 0. you won't have room to number 1-100 but say 1-10.

It should look a little like grip shift gears on a push bike....

You can just glance at the throttle and read the measurement...

Although I can see problems with this if the throttle doesn't turn very far. your marks will be on top of each other...

Or just a volt meter, and do the maths when you stop.

Sometimes low tech is easier... Just my thoughts...

wbilotta

Jun 7, 2012
Could I suggest something really low tech.

Mark the throttle out with 100 evenly spaced dots or dashes, right next to the switch-block that its attached to, then put a pointer on switch block at 0. you won't have room to number 1-100 but say 1-10.

It should look a little like grip shift gears on a push bike....

You can just glance at the throttle and read the measurement...

Although I can see problems with this if the throttle doesn't turn very far. your marks will be on top of each other...

Or just a volt meter, and do the maths when you stop.

Sometimes low tech is easier... Just my thoughts...

I did try marking the throttle grip with lines but this is not accurate enough. I also thought about tapping my Fluke meter into the throttle wire and strapping the meter to my tank but I was hoping for something easier.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I've seen a number of small datalogger projects using microcontrollers.

The best way is often to record the raw data and convert it later. If course this may limit your resolution in some cases, but is a simple starting point.

Here is a kit that might get you started. (Note that you still have to write software to make it perform a given task)

wbilotta

Jun 7, 2012
I've seen a number of small datalogger projects using microcontrollers.

The best way is often to record the raw data and convert it later. If course this may limit your resolution in some cases, but is a simple starting point.

Here is a kit that might get you started. (Note that you still have to write software to make it perform a given task)

Interesting idea. I'm trying to record my throttle position at different speeds (30mph, 50, 70, 80, etc) I know the throttle wire outputs a dc voltage between .5 and 3.7 but I'm not sure if the analog speedometer works off a cable or voltage.