Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Digital files on analog medium

scroth1994

Jul 23, 2012
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate question on these forums, but I think it is.

Is there any form of software or hardware, or is it possible at least, which takes digital files and converts then to sound? Like the 0's are represented by silence or low noise while the 1's are represented by high noise.

You could then possible record the sound to an analog medium (a cassette for example) and thus you have stored a digital file in an analog manner.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding things

Thanks!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yes. Pet computers recorded programs on audio cassettes this way.

I don't miss the days of loading programs off cassettes... I remember Zaxxon for my Atari 800 took about 45 minutes to load from the cassette, there was no instant play you had to plan ahead...

Anyway depending on the amount of data DTMF tones are still widely used for small amounts of data, and even a basic morse code system could be implemented... The one thing you should include over and above the data transmission is a checksum to verify the data was received correctly...

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
could go way back to punched cards too, those are fun to use.... not

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Bring back paper tape!

And backups on mag-tape.

and *HUGE* 125 megabyte hard drives as big as a washing machine (Actually they're not that old)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
could go way back to punched cards too, those are fun to use.... not

hahaha I remember at high school in the computer club using punch cards
we would mark out the cards and send them away for some company to punch them for us and send them back. hmmmm ~ year 1975 from memory, so so many yrs ago

Dave