Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v Switch Mod

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
Hello all,
Have I found my "heaven" or what? Awesome forum, great place to find help and get ideas.

Got a new project I am working on- looking for some help or ideas.
Yamaha V-star 1100. I am working on adding hazard flash to this bike.

The turn signal operates with a push-lef/ push-right/ push-in center for cancel.
Can I add a timer circuit that senses a dual push of the center that activates the flasher?
I would need this project housing to be as small as possible, as there is not alot of room to rid **** in this bike.

I hope somone out there has an idea!
Thanks!

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
Another possible would be to hold the left or right blinker for set length of time to activate Hazards.

Any ideas?

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
No one??

I am not nessarily asking for whole schemo. Just need hints on what parts I need.
I am thinking like a current sensing circuit with a timer.

No one to lead this blind man?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Couldn't you use a separate switch like in a car? Seems to be much simpler than any "coding" scheme using the existing turn key.
Plus, in addition to a decoder that recognizes the hazard code you will need an additional blinker relay and some wiring because the existing blinker relay may not be up to controlling all four lamps (it's designed for 2 lamps only).

Here is an instructional, sorry, it is in German, alternatively in French.

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
I have already thought of using another switch. Thatd be the easy way out;)
I dont want mount another button on the handlebars. Especially if I can utilize the switches that are already there.
Ive already thought of upgrading to a higher wattage relay as well. I have the harness all apart right now so if I need to add more wiring I easily can.
There has to be something out there, example i can think of would be power down windows in the car. When the button is pressed for so long the motor takes over. I need that sensing circuitry or something like it.
Any ideas?

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Is your turn signal switch a left - right rocker switch?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Not to discourage you from pursuing your own build, but you are aware that Kisan makes aftermarket flasher units for most bikes that not only time out the turn signals so they doesn't stay on indefinitely but have a built in hazard option, if you trigger the right signal three times rapidly?

The units cost about $100 so that is certainly a negative, but it's a solid already done solution with the added benefit of the turn signal time out...

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
I havent seen this in all one unit before.
Looks to be a solid unit, but I dont NEED plug and play. Price seems pretty steep to me, circuitry cannot be that difficult.
CDriive- you are correct the turn signal is a rocker switch with a push in center to cancel.
Thanks for the input thus far guys! Hope to hear more ideas!

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Please post a photo of the switch.

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
Obviosly this isnt my switch, but it is exactly the same.

Push left for left turn
Push right for right turn
Push in on center to cancel signal

Thanks again!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!q0E+o+iQEDjBQJ(-nzb5g~~60_58.JPG
    $(KGrHqN,!q0E+o+iQEDjBQJ(-nzb5g~~60_58.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 115

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
Seems to me i could use a 555 timer circuit.
Anyone have alot of experience in designing these? I am working on a multi-sim file.
If I come up with anything itd be great to have someone to look over it for me

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Seems to me i could use a 555 timer circuit.
Anyone have alot of experience in designing these? I am working on a multi-sim file.
If I come up with anything itd be great to have someone to look over it for me

I thought the issue was how to use your existing switch to produce an emergency flash. Is your turn signal flasher a hot element type or electronic?

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Another possible would be to hold the left or right blinker for set length of time to activate Hazards.

Any ideas?

Are you saying that this switch doesn't mechanically latch? In other words is the Left - Off - Right are momentary switch contacts? If so, using the existing switch might be doable. if the switch mechanically latches then I don't think it's doable using the existing switch..

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Most motorcycle turn switches are indeed 3 way momentary and return to center after each switch, left turn, right turn and push in for off... Some might latch internally once engaged left/right not quite sure, but every one I have used returns to center...

I'm not saying one can't intercept the flash circuit and do a hazard but it's not going to be a straight forward and easy task without most likely cutting into the existing wiring harness and rerouting/intercepting the switch logic before it gets to the blinker and/or replacing the entire blinker module for a different logic... Even if you were to intercept the switch logic, the blinker depending on design might not be adaptable to a 'hazard' mode, thus requiring it to be bypassed or supplement the existing blinker...

Last edited:

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
Here is an image of my switch.

http://postimage.org/image/cp51jz3n3/

I have kinda switched gears alot on you guys. Sorry. Just trying to figure out the best way to do this.
Thinking of a flip-flop relay now. The only problem I can foresee with this is somehow regulating the expiration between switches.
I am planning on doing this with 2 standard relays.
Still working on multi-sim simulation. Do you guys use it? Or am i wasting my time? lol
Do you have a better alternative or any more advice?
Thanks in advance.

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
I should add for my two conditions I was thinking of a Left/Off/Left/Off would activate the second relay.
Whether I should use a 555 timer or just a series of mechanical relays, I am hoping to get feedback for you guys