Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch question

onestep

Sep 20, 2012
Hello Guys and Girls!

New to the forum, complete newb with electronics.

Quick question

I own this switch right now and its part of a guitar circuit, but I dont like the aesthetics of the switch (size and colour)

T - 180T SALECOM

Pos 1 (ON) Middle (Off) Pos 3 (ON)
3A 250VAC 5A 125VAC

http://www.salecom.com.tw/prdshowcase.asp?Source=Products.asp&prdCatalogNo=T80-T&prdClassNo=001

So i was wondering if there is any way I could wire this type of switch to do the exact same thing (safely that is, as it plugs into a summing board for a piezo system)

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWT31-12/3-Way-Guitar-Toggle-Switch-Black-Chrome.html

So if anyone knows how and could provide a diagram of how to wire it, it would be greatly appreciated! I anticipate that a couple responses will say just buy a bigger switch with the same configuration, but I am after a very specific aesthetic, and cant for the life of me find something that is the same configuration, that looks like the switch I would like to use.

Thanks!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The drawing on the 'new' switch leaves a little to be interpreted, but this is what I suspect would work... You could verify this with a continuity tester or multimeter if you have one...

Assuming it physically fits this should get you up and running...

attachment.php

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 481

onestep

Sep 20, 2012
Your a life saver! Thank you!

Do you think this is a safe modification to make? Given that this plugs into a summing board ect ect? Also the new switch doesn't seem to post any specifications regarding amperages and voltages. The summing board utilizes 9V, do you think the new switch is capable of handling said volts/amps?

With that being said could I just check with an ohmmeter that the results are verbatim for both switches depending on switch position, and then its safe to say its safe? haha

Also on the 'new' switch do I use the ground at all or no?

Again thank you for your post!

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Do you think this is a safe modification to make? Given that this plugs into a summing board ect ect? Also the new switch doesn't seem to post any specifications regarding amperages and voltages. The summing board utilizes 9V, do you think the new switch is capable of handling said volts/amps?

If it's just for a guitar line level yes you should have no issues...

With that being said could I just check with an ohmmeter that the results are verbatim for both switches depending on switch position, and then its safe to say its safe? haha
Yes, that should be done... Basically you are going to get continuity between the 'middle' wire and either outside wire depending upon switch location, in the center position nothing should be connected...

Also on the 'new' switch do I use the ground at all or no?

In this application no...

As I stated this is how I believe said switch works, the diagram isn't really conclusive to me, I would much rather see a traditional datasheet interpretation of the makes and breaks of the switch but I didn't see that... If you have the continuity tester will be able to verify right away how the new switch works...

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The way I read that diagram, the center position is connecting both pickups and the outer positions are connecting one or the other. My guitar has a 5 position switch that blends the 2 pickups equally in the center, favors one or the other at next 2 outermost positions, and selects one or the other at the outermost positions.

Bob

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The way I read that diagram, the center position is connecting both pickups and the outer positions are connecting one or the other.

That is the way I'm reading it as well, thus the way I suggested wiring it up to get an ONa - OFF - ONb function from it, to mimic his existing switch function...

lumley32

Jul 9, 2012
these switches cant be used like that, there on1----on1&2----on2 if you see what i mean, there is no off setting!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Which is the way a 3-way pickup switch typically works on a guitar. I am surprised the OP's has an off position in the middle.

Bob

onestep

Sep 20, 2012
It should be noted that this switch is NOT used for switching pickups. This switch is used in conjunction with a piezo setup. In one position it utilizes the piezo system only, middle it blends piezo and magnetic, and the other position is responsible for magnetic only. I was just wondering if there is a way to wire a 3 way pickup switch to function the same way the original would.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
It should be noted that this switch is NOT used for switching pickups. This switch is used in conjunction with a piezo setup. In one position it utilizes the piezo system only, middle it blends piezo and magnetic, and the other position is responsible for magnetic only. I was just wondering if there is a way to wire a 3 way pickup switch to function the same way the original would.

Well in that case do what I showed you, as that is what that does... Your original explanation was flawed when you stated the middle was an 'off' when it is in fact a mix...

onestep

Sep 20, 2012
my apologies, I was simply reporting what I physically saw on the original switch casing
on-off-on. Regardless, thank you very much for your input, its greatly appreciated!