Maker Pro
Maker Pro

mini dimmer with photoresistor

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
Mini dimmer

I have conceived this schematic with the purpose of prolonging the lifespan of the light bulbs used in the block of flats where I live.

Caution! This does NOT work for energy saving light bulbs; the electronic scheme of these bulbs generates self-induced voltage higher of 600V and the triac burns.

Because of the high voltage in the network (235-238V) and of the repeated switchings of the presence senzor the light bulbs of 60W/220V died in some places at aproximately 7-10 days. This device allows adjusting the voltage applied to the lamp in between zero and the network voltage with the help of a potentiometer. In this way the lifespan of the bulb is increased up to ten times depending on the applied voltage.

In order to obtain a decent light and brightness I have used two bulbs in parallel, of higher power (75W) that I have powered at 190V. Consequently I have obtained two bulbs of aproximately 50W that have been properly functioning for the past 6 months without burning.

The schematic and the wiring diagram have been projected in Sprint Layout.

http://en.electroni-city.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/clip_image002.jpg
http://en.electroni-city.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/clip_image004.jpg

L1 and L2 pins are linked in series with the two light bulbs to the AC network (in my case through the relay contact of the presence sensor).

The functioning principle is explained below:

When the instantaneous value of the AC voltage exceeds the opening voltage of the DIAC (aproximately 30V) the triac will open and conduct up to the natural canceling of the current through the circuit. This happens symmetrically for both parts of the waveform. C1 capacitor is charged via R2-R1, decharges through DIAC1 and the gate of T1 triac and has the purpose of delaying the opening of triac reported to the moment when AC voltage passes through zero. In this way it will power longer and the average value of voltage at the pins will be lower.

The photocell is optional and it will lead to turning on the light bulbs only at night. Its value at dark must be of at least 2Mohms. This will have to be introduced in a plastic tube, black on the inside, and directed towards the source of natural light. Under no circumstances it should be exposed to the light bulb it is associated to. I have not used this component because the motion sensor already has one built in. Using a photodiode is not possible because it will act differently on the positive and negative part. In direct polarization it will basically shortcircuits the capacitor and the brightness will be zero while in reversed polarisation will work normally (the sensitivity was lower with the photodiodes that I have tried).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No need to post multiple threads about the same thing. Especially when you include less information in subsequent threads.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm not sure. Is there a question?

Are you making these for yourself or are you the landlord?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
nice Idea, we had this system installed at work a few years ago. it detects light/dark, lowers the voltage, which actually saves on power (although I am still trying to figure out how).
anyway, what would you like to know in regards to this design?

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
nice Idea, we had this system installed at work a few years ago. it detects light/dark, lowers the voltage, which actually saves on power (although I am still trying to figure out how).
anyway, what would you like to know in regards to this design?

I'm a newbie to world wide electronic hobbyists and I try to publish my work and I don't know how can I do this without be considered a spammer. I have a lot of electronic projects (my own projects) and I want to publish them correctly. Can anyone advice to me?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
having an idea is great. having a prototype is better. having a tested product is awesome.
having an idea will allow you to goto people "wouldn't it be nice if they put alarms on radios" this does nothing except start a little chat.
having a prototype to show people will show them the functionality of the product.
having a product you can give to someone to try out for a few days is the best way.
as for getting them published, not many places publish ideas, if however you have a schematic or prototype or even a few trial machines then you can get them to the right people.
energy saving items I would personally look for any of the hundreds of organisations trying to stop carbon pollution, greenpeace is the biggest. these guys will looks at what you have, offer advice and they can use their network to push the item out onto the market.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm a newbie to world wide electronic hobbyists and I try to publish my work and I don't know how can I do this without be considered a spammer. I have a lot of electronic projects (my own projects) and I want to publish them correctly. Can anyone advice to me?

Draw your circuit diagrams, start a thread in the projects section and post them along with an explanation.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
<snip>
energy saving items I would personally look for any of the hundreds of organisations trying to stop carbon pollution, greenpeace is the biggest. these guys will looks at what you have, offer advice and they can use their network to push the item out onto the market.

Doubtful that any of them would even consider supporting this device. Incandescent lamps are on their hit list. However, if you told them that you have a magic light pipe that funnels sunlight to a room (on demand) 24-7, they'd be thrilled!

When you start your new thread please post the link here. Some questions need to be asked.

Chris