Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ebay Counter Help

Truckdrivingfool

Sep 30, 2012
I know this is simple but so am I. :)

I'm trying to make a counter for coil winding but when the calculator hack using a magnetic reed switch failed to keep up with my lathe so I bought an Ebay counter. Now I need some clarification on the hook up.

My main concern is where the specs say input resistance 100k, I'm assuming that is the pulse and I should hook this thing up as such. Hopefully my pic works.

EbayCounterHookup-1.jpg

I'm also wondering if I should put a capacitor in on the battery side.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The 100k resistor is not needed (in fact it may not work with it present).

There is some difference in the page about whether power is 5V, 9-12V, or 12-24V, but I guess 12-24V is probably right.

Truckdrivingfool

Sep 30, 2012
Reread the ad and this stood out

Ebay ad said:
Input signal should meet the requirements of impedance, if the internal impedance of the input signal is big and you need to change the impedance .

Perhaps it can't be over 100k and leaving it out is just the ticket. Any thoughts?

Truckdrivingfool

Sep 30, 2012
Thanks Steve,
I wired it as above minus the resistor and by goodness it works. A quick enclosure out of some scraps and here it is all ready to wind away.

CoilWinder.jpg

The lathe lists it's slowest speed as 750rpm so I timed out the minute and got 747. Giving it the benefit of the doubt for my reaction time, it appears to be accurate. Also to clarify on the voltage, they must make different models as there is a sticker across the top that lists different voltages. Since this one was marked 24v I went with the 12 - 24v that was in the Ebay description.