Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ribbon Cable Too Small to

consec

Oct 8, 2012
Ribbon Cable Too Small to separate wires

Hi Guys, I've got a problem. I'm trying to extend a ribbon cable for a cell phone camera, but the cable is far to small to separate the wires sufficiently to breadboard or solder. I'm looking for any ideas on how I might connect this component with a longer cable. Picture attached...

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• DSC02991.jpg
    DSC02991.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not even sure what I'm looking at or where the cable connects.

consec

Oct 8, 2012
Sorry, it's so small I can't really get a good picture with my crappy camera. I'm talking about the flexible plastic kind of ribbon cable. The orange piece in the middle is the ribbon cable in this case. Hopefully that helps to clear things up a bit.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, so it;s a short section of ribbon cable (possibly flexible PCB) between the two small parts?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
OK, so it;s a short section of ribbon cable (possibly flexible PCB) between the two small parts?

That is my guess, and without A LOT of patience trying to jumper wire all those flexible pcb connections with traditional wires your best bet is to have a custom flexible PCB cable made that fans out to a more solder friendly configuration, sadly this is VERY costly for a one off... My advise is to seek another camera that is more suitable to tinkering, ore get out the magnifier lens and get a plan of attack done with wrapping wire jumpers...

consec

Oct 8, 2012
Yeah, that's kind of what I could think of as well. I'm certain I don't have the steady hands or patience to try to wire it.

Even finding another camera is a bit hard, as all the Android phones I've seen use the same style cameras, although some have slightly longer ribbon cables which would make things a bit easier.