Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help identify a capacitor

mm75

Dec 28, 2012
So, I recently broke a capacitor :( (in my pc mobo, i can fix it i just need the capacitor) and i need help finding a replacement.
on the top it says
FP5K
0ZAH
so any help is great :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there mm75
welcome to the forums
those numbers dont look like normal markings for a capacitor
maybe you havent identified the part correctly
how about a sharp well lit close up pic of the component in question :)

Dave

PS one has to ask ... how did you break this part ??

mm75

Dec 28, 2012
hi there mm75
welcome to the forums
those numbers dont look like normal markings for a capacitor
maybe you havent identified the part correctly
how about a sharp well lit close up pic of the component in question :)

Dave

PS one has to ask ... how did you break this part ??

That part over heated, well really something next to it was really hot and it broke the capacitor. And I know what u mean about I read the markings wrong but it's right, that's why I need help. But the part was in my PC mobo asus p5g41c -m lx. I have some trouble posting a pic because PC is broke :/ by the way the part is if u see this mobo the part is exactly left of the processor in between 2 components that I don't what they are but both says 1r2
I will try get a PC of it later

Ps because I am new to here the post icon box under here, where does it put the icon?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what do you mean broke the capacitor ?
its not likely to be the only faulty part. the part that was getting hot , was getting hot for a reason .... there is some other fault.
You would have to identify what other components have failed
The chances of doing a home repair on surface mounted components of a mobo without causing more damage is highly unlikely.

attachment.php

OK so can you point out the component that was getting hot and the component you are identifying as a capacitor ??

Dave

Attachments

• mobo.jpg
    mobo.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,075

mm75

Dec 28, 2012
what do you mean broke the capacitor ?
its not likely to be the only faulty part. the part that was getting hot , was getting hot for a reason .... there is some other fault.
You would have to identify what other components have failed
The chances of doing a home repair on surface mounted components of a mobo without causing more damage is highly unlikely.

attachment.php

OK so can you point out the component that was getting hot and the component you are identifying as a capacitor ??

Dave

well, the processor was getting hot because i forgot to turn on my water cooler cpu... thing.
and the heat broke the component.and it is cheeper to try and fix that one part and know for sure that it works or doesn't than buy another mobo or the same one which costs £40.
the picture doesn't look like my mobo here is a pic of how most of it looks (sorry if it is a link)http://www.mediafire.com/view/?70f8zmqr24c32q5

and here is where the broken part was http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ae5cyl918evczjf

and here is a further away view of it http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ymymu9djv6dm7qs

sorry that the pics arn't very clear but my hands are not very steady and my ipod touch 4g camera is not very good

and i am sure that it says
FP5K
0ZAH
on it

btw on the further away view of it u can see that there are 2 extra capacitors there and they are the and so is the broken one but only has that FP5K and the other marks on it, no help at all, stupid manufactures :\
btw this might help a bit or not at all, someone i know says that the capacitor that broke might be made by panasonic

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yeah ok :)

that pic is what I came up with when i googled the mobo model number you gave in your post
I will still stand by my comments that its going to be extremely difficult for you to repair this at home without causing more damage
The pics are way too blurry to see part numbers or if there is any burn damage to the mobo
I still think there is other faults, if the cpu got hot enough to do that to a single cap at that distance then chances are that the cpu is also toast

sorry for sounding a bit negative .... just trying to be realistic
do you have a really fine pointed soldering iron ?
have you ever done any SMD component rework ?

Dave

mm75

Dec 28, 2012
yeah ok :)

that pic is what I came up with when i googled the mobo model number you gave in your post
I will still stand by my comments that its going to be extremely difficult for you to repair this at home without causing more damage
The pics are way too blurry to see part numbers or if there is any burn damage to the mobo
I still think there is other faults, if the cpu got hot enough to do that to a single cap at that distance then chances are that the cpu is also toast

sorry for sounding a bit negative .... just trying to be realistic
do you have a really fine pointed soldering iron ?
have you ever done any SMD component rework ?

Dave

Thx for ur advice and opinion but could u just help me find it pls? If I sound negative sorry.
So could u help me identify the part? Thx for even bothering to reply to this thread because I am sure not many people would.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The board Dave was able to find images of is clearly different to yours.

1) We need images of your board that are sharp enough for us to read what's on top of the components

2) We need images of the other side of the board in the region of this fault (clear and sharp as above)

3) We need to see an image of what this component looked like before it died. (Or reasoning as to what you think the markings are as you say -- they may not be the same as components nearby).

You probably need a real camera to take the images, and it is better if you take them using natural light (as opposed to flash).

Whenever I or someone else has damaged a motherboard, my practice has been to replace the board, CPU and memory because the cost of doing so is low compared to the frustration of them either being long-term faulty or destroying the next parts I plug them into (or into them).

(How do you know that the processor isn't damaged in such a way that it will take out the next board, or the board damaged so it will kill a new processor, or the memory will damage the motherboard?)

I guess that as long as you use all the same components, you won't risk damaging anything more than what I recommend you replace now.

Remember. You need to answer points 1 to 3 in your reply if you decide to go ahead with an attempted repair.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
The 821 in the part number MIGHT mean 820 uF...

zenith

Nov 3, 2012
Not sure if this will help, but I think this is his mobo, the part he is on about is on the upper right, in between the two 1r2 , just above the cpu socket.

there is a larger image here http://hardver-teszt.hu/news.php?newsID=591 it's around halfway down the page, if you click on it, then click on the picture again you get quite a large image.

I wasn't sure how large an image was allowed on this forum, so I put the link as well.

Attachments

• asus-p5g41c-m-lx-2d.jpg
    asus-p5g41c-m-lx-2d.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 751
  • asus-p5g41ccrop.jpg
    asus-p5g41ccrop.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

mm75

Dec 28, 2012
Not sure if this will help, but I think this is his mobo, the part he is on about is on the upper right, in between the two 1r2 , just above the cpu socket.

there is a larger image here http://hardver-teszt.hu/news.php?newsID=591 it's around halfway down the page, if you click on it, then click on the picture again you get quite a large image.

I wasn't sure how large an image was allowed on this forum, so I put the link as well.

That's the exact one

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
new mobo

the caps attached to the CPU are charged at the factory. It is not an easy job to replace a cap nest to the CPU. Not reccommended. No ... those are sometimes not caps at all, they may be special transistors, or dedicated switches. contact MOBO manufacturer, not this bunch of board experts....

I am a bit old fashioned. I might go through my caps, diodes and stuff and see if I had something, but I wouldn't tell anyone I did it, and It would probably crash the net in about 2 sec. flat and set a new record for the number of bank terminals killed by a virus...

please. just get a new mobo nerd.:p

Relayer

Dec 15, 2012
I'd say the capacitor in question is an SMD electrolytic, and as Kris has already mentioned, there's a good chance its value is 820uF.
Can you check the other two SMD caps either side and note their values. You'll find in 99% of cases, the other two caps will be the same value as the one that's damaged.
Please let us know.
Regards,
Relayer :D

mm75

Dec 28, 2012
I'd say the capacitor in question is an SMD electrolytic, and as Kris has already mentioned, there's a good chance its value is 820uF.
Can you check the other two SMD caps either side and note their values. You'll find in 99% of cases, the other two caps will be the same value as the one that's damaged.
Please let us know.
Regards,

I think it is the same value but could u maybe help me find the series and voltage pls?
Or anyone

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the caps attached to the CPU are charged at the factory. p

rubbish!!

capacitors DONT get charged up till power is applied
when power has been off for some time the caps will discharge and then recharge next time power is applied

Relayer

Dec 15, 2012
I think it is the same value but could u maybe help me find the series and voltage pls?
Or anyone
I don't know which country you're from, but an 820uF shouldn't be too hard to get. Its voltage rating would be low, around 6.3V or 10V.
So here's what you should enquire about:
An 820 microfarad, 10 volt, 105 degree surface mount electrolytic capacitor.
Here in Australia you can obtain this part from WES Components.
Overseas you can try Farnell or Mouser.
Here's the link for Mouser:
http://au.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/_/N-5g7r?P=1z0wrjoZ1z0x8hfZ1z0z7ym
Regards,

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think that these are probably quite exotic capacitors. (well, maybe I don't think that, but I fear that).

Motherboards these days tend to use the most bleeding edge low ESR types of capacitors. Polymer capacitors are an example of a capacitor type that I first encountered on motherboards.

The issue with replacing the capacitor may not be the capacitance, but the rated ripple current and ESR.

That's why I want a really clear close-up image (the large one pointed to on the (I think) manufacturer's web site was not detailed enough to read the markings). If I can see the markings, their layout, and any squiggles etc that may identify a manufacturer, then I have a chance of finding the exact type of capacitor. From that, suggesting a replacement becomes safer.

Here is some information on polymer capacitors if you're interested.

satoslp

Mar 1, 2019
This is a very, very old post, but anyway I'm going to answer it, as it can help others that have the same problem with their capacitors

FP5K Michicon brand capacitor "logo/identifier"
0ZAH Lot number
821 capacitance
03 voltage

You can replace them with any Michicon, Panasonic, Chemi-con, Rubycon, or Samxon capacitor, as long as cumplies with the capacitance and the voltage (820 uF and 3 volts).
I hope it be usefull.

Attachments

• e-rs8.pdf
    701.8 KB · Views: 5