Maker Pro
Maker Pro

linear analog servo motor drive

ammar87

Jan 7, 2013
hello my friends
i am trying to build a linear analog servo drive for a servo motor and YES it is analog not a PWM for many reasons one of them :is that this drive is a part of control system i am working on and i want to reduce the noise to minimum.
so i dig the web and i found several power op amp: like L165,L2720, LM675,LM12
i am kid of confused because all i want is :
Class-AB linear power Amplifier with no distortion around zero
i am trying to use the power op-amp rather than power transistors to reduce the number of components and the issues related to them .
here is the motor specifications:
http://www.specamotor.com/en/Faulhaber/motors/2338-006S/datasheet_motor.html
i suppose to control the position in bi-direction.
the questions:
1-which power op-amp should i use?
2- is there a ready drive that i can buy ?
3-is this circuit correct to control the motor position in bi-direction?
cct.png

any help will be more than appreciated

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
That circuit looks OK. You will need a power supply of about +-7V to limit the motor voltage to 6V.

I have not looked up the data for the amps you mention but I have used a LA6500 (1A Maximum) for non audio purposes.

The DAC must be able to produce positive and negative outputs or you will need a level shifter.

ammar87

Jan 7, 2013
That circuit looks OK. You will need a power supply of about +-7V to limit the motor voltage to 6V.

I have not looked up the data for the amps you mention but I have used a LA6500 (1A Maximum) for non audio purposes.

The DAC must be able to produce positive and negative outputs or you will need a level shifter.
can this be useful?
OPA548_Servo_drive_f.png

i want to have position control

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If you want position control you will need some form of feedback to determine the position. Many years ago, model aircraft used potentiometers to indicate position. I do not know current technology in this area. A potentiometer can be used to provide a voltage to match that of the input when the position is correct.

ammar87

Jan 7, 2013
If you want position control you will need some form of feedback to determine the position. Many years ago, model aircraft used potentiometers to indicate position. I do not know current technology in this area. A potentiometer can be used to provide a voltage to match that of the input when the position is correct.
yes sure there is encoder involved to measure the angle and a computer with Data Acquisition Card used to implement the controller