Maker Pro
Maker Pro

idea for creating Touch sensitive wire strip like variable resistor

Vignesh0025

Jul 4, 2013
Hii, I want to create a touch sensitive wire strip... That is .. When i move my hand over a copper wire

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Well, there is not much variation in voltage along a copper wire unless it is drawing a LOT of current, so I don't see how.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you could create a capacitive touchpad <--- google it

you need to understand you need 2 wires

Dave

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
That's partially true. One leg can be commited to ground leaving only one conductor as the capacitive pickup. I think it might be prone to false triggering though.

Chris

Vignesh0025

Jul 4, 2013
I searched for capacitive touchpad but could not find able to find any actual idea to work it out?? Where can i find the details??

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
If you're looking for a simple finger bridging circuit that demonstrates where along a resistive divider your finger has bridged the circuit you can put this together. I show a 9V battery and an Ammeter but a basic Ohmmeter will work just as well. Placing your finger across any of the 4 touch points will give a different Ammeter or Ohmmeter reading.

Chris

Attachments

• Touch(R)sense.JPG
    Touch(R)sense.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, there is not much variation in voltage along a copper wire...

On a technical note, this applies only if the length of the wire is short compared to the wavelength of the signal.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
On a technical note, this applies only if the length of the wire is short compared to the wavelength of the signal.

Are you referring to SWR?

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are you referring to SWR?

No, I'm referring to the propagation of a signal through a conductor.

If the conductor is short compared to the wavelength, you can consider the signal identical throughout the length of the wire, and the signal at both ends are the same.

If the wire is long, both ends of the wire could be at different potentials.

As toy realize, an antenna is a perfect example. However, regardless of SWR the effect still happens.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
No, I'm referring to the propagation of a signal through a conductor.

If the conductor is short compared to the wavelength, you can consider the signal identical throughout the length of the wire, and the signal at both ends are the same.

If the wire is long, both ends of the wire could be at different potentials.

As toy realize, an antenna is a perfect example. However, regardless of SWR the effect still happens.

Yes, but this does not hold true for transmission lines properly terminated in it's characteristic impedance at both ends. In this case the only differences from input to output should be dielectric and radiation loss. Usually,the more expensive the transmission line the less one should see in either regard.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Steve, brain fart on this end! Yes, you're absolutely correct and so was Toy. My last post I was still stuck on SWR, which is better described and stated as Reflected Power. It has little to do with Toy's theory.

Yes, that's how antennas work! ;)

Chris