Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Acrylic Lacquer for Solder Mask?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd worry about products not designed specifically for PCB use. Your noted product might dissolve markings on your components that you don't want: interact with metals or plastics on the board over time, be potenially flammable if heat or a failure on the board occurs; or cause other undesireable consequences. Check he GC Electronics webpage for products specifically designed for what you want. They make varnishes and conformal coatings specifically for electronics use.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I'd worry about products not designed specifically for PCB use. Your noted product might dissolve markings on your components that you don't want: interact with metals or plastics on the board over time, be potenially flammable if heat or a failure on the board occurs; or cause other undesireable consequences. Check he GC Electronics webpage for products specifically designed for what you want. They make varnishes and conformal coatings specifically for electronics use.

Good point, thanks for the link, I will check it out when they come back up. I did find another conformal coating made by CRC. If I mask the areas where components etc. will be installed, do you think I can use the conformal coating as a solder mask? It seems easier to find these conformal sprays than solder mask in a can :D

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
When the GC Electronics website comes back up, ask THEM for a recommendation of a product that will fill your bill.
They've been in business for a long time and have probably heard every application you can think of.
They design and market products to fill the applications.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
When the GC Electronics website comes back up, ask THEM for a recommendation of a product that will fill your bill.
They've been in business for a long time and have probably heard every application you can think of.
They design and market products to fill the applications.

Gave them a call - website still down for me for some reason. I spoke with Sean, they only have conformal coating in brush on application. Discontinued the spray some years ago. I might give CRC a call and talk with them as I get closer to that phase. Thanks for the suggestion.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sorry to hear about the trouble finding what you need. All the new laws and regulations about what's environmentally acceptable (content, chloroflouro's, all the 'hazardous' stuff), has genuinely impacted what we
can get anymore. Good luck finding a good price on what will work for you.