Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hello everyone! Need Advice, hope this is the right place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsean430

Jul 22, 2014
So basically I'm in the making of a product for a car that I think would be very benificial to my customers at the automotive repair shop I work at,what I need is an actuator or gear motor, The thing is, it will be welded onto the engine so It would need to be reliable, stand up to the engines very very hot oil pan, and at the same time hold up to the everyday condition of weather and engine vibration, someone was telling me I could look into the actuators that they for jet planes and rockets but I don't see that part being cheaper then the car part with repair and labor together. I would like someday to make this part and hopefully if it works out the way I have it planned I could sell it to shops to use for themselves

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Hard to help with that non-existant amount of detail. And to my limited knowledge no parts are "welded" to an engine.

Ken

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
There are a couple of paths you can take.
Take out a patent if one does not yet exist and design (vaguely) your product and get it copyright.
Then you can start to make more details public. This will not stop people from making it or selling it, but will give you an extra leg to stand on if you end up taking someone to court over it.
If you don't want to share your details, don't expect much help online.
Hopefully you can get your details in order and decide what you feel is safe to share, but remember that the more details the better! Anyone can only help you so much if you only present half a riddle.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
To me personally 'welded to the engine' is where I stop listening. Components fail and must be serviceable - especially components with moving parts like a motor/solenoid.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
To me personally 'welded to the engine' is where I stop listening. Components fail and must be serviceable - especially components with moving parts like a motor/solenoid.
It very well could be a bracket that is welded on... (hopefully) and not in a spot that could cause issues from deforming the metal.

Gsean430

Jul 22, 2014
Hey ken
Hard to help with that non-existant amount of detail. And to my limited knowledge no parts are "welded" to an engine.

Ken

Sorry for the lack of info, the shop owner doesn't want any info getting out to other repair shops for the idea, it might not be welded but the actuator will be on the engine itself, basically We need to know who sells a reliable actuator to basically open and close a valve for fluid. It will be in the engine so it needs to be an actuator that can hold up reliably in very hot or cold weather and with vibrations of the engine.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hey ken

Sorry for the lack of info, the shop owner doesn't want any info getting out to other repair shops for the idea, it might not be welded but the actuator will be on the engine itself, basically We need to know who sells a reliable actuator to basically open and close a valve for fluid. It will be in the engine so it needs to be an actuator that can hold up reliably in very hot or cold weather and with vibrations of the engine.
In the engine or on the engine are two completely different things.
Is the actuator your looking for momentary? Or will it be a push/pull design?

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Are you talking submersible in the oil pan? Is there already a valve that the actuator needs to move, or are we talking about an electrical solenoid valve?

Patents are only as good as the money you have to litigate it in court. That's the only right that a patent grants.

Ken

Gsean430

Jul 22, 2014
There actually will be a bracket, that bracket will be bolted to the lower engine and that bracket will have the actuator, maybe bolted or welded in a metal sleeve, It will not be inside the oil pan. And the actuator will basically control a flap in a tube to open or close it by switch. Sorry if I'm not making sense guys. I just need to find out what actuator would be best to control a valve open or close by switch in extreme climates. And is 12v

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I think your going to have to do your own research into industrial or aerospace solenoids and actuators.

Only you and your boss know what conditions must be met. So far the only thing anyone on here can do is guess and through products at you for what they think is a good fit.
I don't know if this is a linear actuator that you will attach to an existing 'flap' or if your after a solenoid valve. We have no clue on the torque required, on the pressure of fluid (or gas) that you are working with. I'm assuming 200F upper limit for temperature. Still not sure if this valve is momentary so it will return to a default position if the control system fails or if you are going to reverse the polarity to close / open it.
I wish you luck, I really do, but you and your boss will need to start asking more specific questions once you have the specifications nailed down for exactly what you want it to accomplish. You will need to ask sales reps from the manufacturers that you find on google. You may get lucky and find parts from CNC repair services, as some of the components go through some pretty nasty work.
It's that or you will need to loosen your tongue, or we will not be able to provide any useful information. I feel like I'm wasting my time searching for products when I don't know what role it will serve.

You work in the auto industry, I need fluid for my car because my little plastic holder is empty...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Sorry for the lack of info, the shop owner doesn't want any info getting out to other repair shops for the idea

in which case there's no point wasting everyone's time as they try as guess what you want

thread closed

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.