Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help for my first proximity sensing project.

Nireves

Jul 23, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm new to all this and desperately need help.
There are two variables.
A & B
I need these two variables to send out a signal and receive signals from each other.
I want the received signals to act like a switch. For instance, lets say when the signals are received from each other and that causes a LED light to be turned on or the variables vibrate.
Am I wrong?
Any useful tips?

Thanks in advance! :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Perhaps the working is a little difficult for me to grasp due to the words 'variables'.

So you want A and B to be independent of each other, and sense how far away they are from each other.
Once they are close enough you want one or both of them to do something.

Can you give a little more details? What your post describes can be done... but it can be done in a large number of different ways. Some very complex, others simpler. It can be very accurate, or roughly accurate.
Details will help us iron out what you need.

Does A and B need to react? (or only one of them)
Will A and B be completely independent of each other? (two separate devices)
Do they need to react to each other only?
Will you be expanding to more than just A and B... will there be C, D etc.
What kind of range are you looking for?
What kind of accuracy are you looking for?
Are you concerned with how to power A and B... or are you just interested in the sensor?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
In addition to Gryd3's questions:

Are they in line of sight, or must the signal go through obstacles?

Bob

Nireves

Jul 23, 2014
1. Both A & B must react
2. Yes A & B are two devices
3. Yes just themselves
4. I do want more than just A&B
5. Around 4 yards (12 feet)
6. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by accuracy, but I would like for the signals to go through obstacles.
7. I want the devices to be pocket sized no bigger than the palm of a hand.

Does it still seem possible?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
1. Both A & B must react
2. Yes A & B are two devices
3. Yes just themselves
4. I do want more than just A&B
5. Around 4 yards (12 feet)
6. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by accuracy, but I would like for the signals to go through obstacles. Would you be fine with the action occurring anywhere within a 14 - 10 foot span? What I mean by accuracy, is how exact do you want the position of the devices to be before the action occurs?
7. I want the devices to be pocket sized no bigger than the palm of a hand.

Does it still seem possible?

Last minute questions:
Will the action simply be on/off, or will it vary based on how far away the objects are?
Will the action be different if it is near C or D? Or will the action always be the same regardless?

Sounds possible, but it may not be perfect ;)
My first thought is an active radio in each device that will 'ping' for other devices. Depending on the frequency used, it may not go through some objects. Depending on features the devices may be a little power hungry.
There may be other recommendations, so sit tight.

Edit: I have a good understanding of the theory involved in doing so, but do not have any experience with such a device.

Nireves

Jul 23, 2014
Hmmm. Now that I think of it, Id rather have the span be 20 feet if possible.
If not, then no biggie.
I don't care much for accuracy. As long as it gets the signal when its within range.

1. For now lets just keep it to on and off.
2. It will always be the same.

Thanks again!

aaron1987

Jul 29, 2014
you would have to use ultra high frequency for penetrating power but it will limit you on your range. but correct me if im wrong but your pretty much making a tech version of the game hot and cold. so the closer you get the more it vibrates and flashes?