Maker Pro
PCB Design Considerations

PCB Design Considerations

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
chopnhack submitted a new resource:

PCB Design Considerations - Tips on designing PCB's

I would like to start a living document of sorts to include the collective wisdom of the forum on PCB design considerations - things to look for and watch out for when doing a PCB layout.

PCB thickness
Copper layer thickness
Ground Planes
Vias
Thermal Vias
Alignment of components
Traces
Solder Mask

Currently working out how far apart via's can be before they lose their effectiveness in connecting two ground planes together. I found this article to be an interesting short read with a good...

Read more about this resource...

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Some small updates to the resource. Feel free to comment with anything you find you would like to add!

GeoffC

Mar 11, 2013
chopnhack submitted a new resource:

PCB Design Considerations - Tips on designing PCB's

Read more about this resource...

I saw your thread ‘PCB Design Consideration’ – a ‘living document’. I’m not too sure if I can help. But I make all my circuits into PCBs. I use ‘Photo Resist’ boards purchased from RS, a UV light box, and my big cheat is the ‘Soft-Ware’ I use ‘Ranger2-XL’. In this programme one can design/enter the circuit, and convert it into the artwork to create the PCB. Then comes the drilling of the board, using a 0·7mm drill. Can be tricky! The above is just a quick précis. My circuits are not complicated, they are mainly text book circuits put together, as I am only a hobbiest. I might be able to answer the odd question, but I am only what I have partly assumed, and trial & errors.

Regards, Geoff. – (GeoffC)