Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to fix a handheld neo-geo console

95teetee

Jan 25, 2015
Hi all- a friend of mine dropped off a neo-geo system he wants me to fix. It has a handheld that plugs into the console. It plugs in with a mini-HDMI, an 1/8" headphone jack, and a micro-B USB port (all hard-wired to the console itself). The problem is that the inside section of the micro-B (with the pins) is gone. That's how the handheld is supposed to charge.
I'm wondering if I can connect directly to the battery (maybe put a female USB connector off of it) to charge? Not sure if the battery can be charged that way or not... If that would work he could charge the battery and then hook the handheld up to the base. I've included a picture of what I'm working on, and the circuit board itself. TIA41HCTDF9PBL.jpgIMG_1721.JPG

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
No. Never directly connect a power source to a battery to charge it.
The best option for you would be to solder in a new microSD socket, or wire the +5V and GND directly to the board where the plug used to be (Or where the traces lead... take a look at the two test points labelled USB_5V and GND)
Tell your friend to be gentler when he plug this thing in to charge it ;)

95teetee

Jan 25, 2015
thanks Gryd3- I thought about trying to replace the socket, but wasn't sure about sourcing a suitable replacement. I was hoping I could use the points you're suggesting, but wasn't sure about it (that's sort of what I meant to ask in my original question lol).
btw, he got it like that (the company he bought it from refunded his money-or wife's money, actually- but didn't want it back and couldn't replace it as I guess they were told to cease and desist by the original makers of the neo-geo.)That's his story anyways:)
Thanks again Gryd3- I'll try going to those test points and see if I can get it going.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
thanks Gryd3- I thought about trying to replace the socket, but wasn't sure about sourcing a suitable replacement. I was hoping I could use the points you're suggesting, but wasn't sure about it (that's sort of what I meant to ask in my original question lol).
btw, he got it like that (the company he bought it from refunded his money-or wife's money, actually- but didn't want it back and couldn't replace it as I guess they were told to cease and desist by the original makers of the neo-geo.)That's his story anyways:)
Thanks again Gryd3- I'll try going to those test points and see if I can get it going.
Keep us posted. The replacement sockets are pretty standard, the most important would be getting power, but data may give you some other options if you manage to solder a replacement in successfully.

95teetee

Jan 25, 2015
update= finally got around to working on this again= soldered a USB cord to the points by the micro slot...and it's charging right now!

haven't decided whether I'll wire in a female plug, or leave the USB cable attached, or what, but at least it's working- thanks again Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
update= finally got around to working on this again= soldered a USB cord to the points by the micro slot...and it's charging right now!

haven't decided whether I'll wire in a female plug, or leave the USB cable attached, or what, but at least it's working- thanks again Gryd3
Up to you, if you plan to leave a cord attached, you should find a strain relief solution... It would really suck to have it yanked, it could peel some of the traces right off the board which would make adding a female socket or fixing it again later much more difficult.
Commonly, manufacturers will simply tie a knot in the USB cord eight behind the opening, so when the cord is pulled, the knot hits the opening and prevent the actual connection on the board from straining.

95teetee

Jan 25, 2015
I was debating how I'd keep it secure- the knot actually sounds like the best idea- thanks.