Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Common Problems When Learning Electronics? Ideal Solutions?

Kingwill829

Mar 23, 2015
I'm an electronics enthusiast, and I'm thinking of starting an electronics blog where I can share content that people learning about electronics will find useful. I find that a lot of the educational electronics resources I come across offer good tutorials, but don't go into enough detail into how and why something works the way it does. I'm hoping people can share some of the other common problems they encountered when learning electronics and the sort of 'learning resources / online content' they wish had been available to them at the time.

It would be great if this starts a lively discussion with people sharing common problems and ideal solutions, as well as their favourite online tools and resources, and everyone involved being able to discover something new of use.

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
I am not sure it works like that. There are no "common problems" or "ideal solutions" as far as I am aware. Electronics is a broad topic, covering the three (correct me if there are more) areas, power, analogue and digital electronics. You will encounter problems in all, a wide variation of complexities in the problems as well. If you want to not encounter problems always read up on the area in which you are about to practice, the alternative is to experiment, you will face problems however it will be fun (if you enjoy electronics that is) encountering and solving these problems.

If you have any specific problems, start a thread about it.

This is my opinion, I am sure someone will disagree.

I hope this helps,

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
It would be great if this starts a lively discussion with people sharing common problems and ideal solutions, as well as their favourite online tools and resources, and everyone involved being able to discover something new of use.

so you basically want to do what this forum already does ;)

Dave

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
It is very hard to get recognized on the web and it will take you years to get a following.
On top of this, very few readers are prepared to reply.
Take for example, Everyday Practical Electronics blog. The magazine has been in existence for 50 years and they have barely 11,000 readers and get less than one blog or reply to their chat zone each day.
You will be sorely disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm in the electronics industry. It has dropped to less than 10% from its heyday.
Everyone is more interested in dating sites, mobile apps and watching sport.
You will also find the comprehension and understanding of electronics in general is minuscule - as seen on the "Make" site etc.
I already have an enormous article on SPOT THE MISTAKE and explain how a circuit works and expose the enormous number of mistakes from teachers and Professors who deliver absolute drivel to unsuspecting students and readers of Indian magazines.
You really need to see and know how a circuit works intimately to be able to explain its operation.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
It is very hard to get recognized on the web and it will take you years to get a following.
On top of this, very few readers are prepared to reply.
Take for example, Everyday Practical Electronics blog. The magazine has been in existence for 50 years and they have barely 11,000 readers and get less than one blog or reply to their chat zone each day.
You will be sorely disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm in the electronics industry. It has dropped to less than 10% from its heyday.
Everyone is more interested in dating sites, mobile apps and watching sport.
You will also find the comprehension and understanding of electronics in general is minuscule - as seen on the "Make" site etc.
I already have an enormous article on SPOT THE MISTAKE and explain how a circuit works and expose the enormous number of mistakes from teachers and Professors who deliver absolute drivel to unsuspecting students and readers of Indian magazines.
You really need to see and know how a circuit works intimately to be able to explain its operation.

Colin has raised some very good points on electronics literacy. There are many hurdles to understanding - physics, math, logic - weighty material that the average joe will not comprehend readily and certainly not without a great deal of effort. That will thin the herd for viewership, but that has already been established via the magazine example above.

I will refute the statement about being hard to get recognized on the web. I think that despite the proliferation of pages, the advent of social media has made it easier for someone to get before a receptive audience. Look at Google+ - there are many groups that have literally tens of thousands of subscribers. Leave a pertinent topic as a post on several of these and you are assured of getting page hits and subscribers. Couple this with Youtube exposure and you are off.

One of the keys is content that is engaging and informative and routinely provided. You can't be sporadic about when you post material - you have to do so on some type of organized schedule so that people know to visit - every tuesday i.e. If this means that you have to prepare a season's worth of material beforehand, so be it.

There are many guides to managing your content on the web, etc. - I wouldn't be discouraged from trying, but you will need to build your book first!
cheers