Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help, connecting a 3-position/2-Pole Slide switch

Thomas B

May 23, 2015
Hi

I'm trying to swap out a small 3-way position sliding switch on a PCB with a bigger and more sturdy one.

I am new to electronics and because of this I approached the task in a somewhat logic way: the small 3-way switch on the PCB has 8 legs, hence I would need to swap it out with another 8 legged switch.

First I desoldered/removed the small slide switch and hooked up the PCB again.
My test confirmed that the PCB with no switch attached to it was in "Center" mode

I then wired up the replacement switch and soldered it on to the PCB

Sadly this did not work as I had hoped:
Left position work
Center position work (but as the PCB by default is in "Center" I'm not too sure)
Right position do not work - the PCB is in "Center" :(

Pic of small 3-way switch on PCB and removed:
3waypos-small.jpg

Replacement switch:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...ft-2-Way-ONON-Guitar-Slider-Switch-Black.html
3way_slider_black.jpg

sws3connections.jpg

Soldered on like this (NOT WORKING):
switch-not-ok.jpg

Do anyone know how I should connect the wires to the pins on the new switch to get this working ?

/ Thomas

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
Could it be that your original switch was a 2P3T, or a dual 3-way selector? 1 an 5 would then be the common, switching between the 3 other. The best is to check out the old switch to see how it is switching.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
Last edited:

Thomas B

May 23, 2015
Could it be that your original switch was a 2P3T, or a dual 3-way selector? 1 an 5 would then be the common, switching between the 3 other. The best is to check out the old switch to see how it is switching.
Thank you for your reply.

I'm afraid I not skilled enough to check small original switch properly, but you may very well be right about the 2P3T thing

Brgds, Thomas

Last edited:

Thomas B

May 23, 2015
No, this switch will not replace a 3 position.
Actually, each pole of a 3 position switch has actually 5 pins. So the original switch would have 10 pins, 5 per pole. But 2 are connected together, so the number of physical pins will be 4 per pole, but the missing pin position is still accounted for.

Please refer to my earlier post

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/need-help-with-a-three-position-which.268943/#post-1611377

Thank you for your reply

Could you possibly provide me with a link to a switch you think would solve this for me, at this point Im not too sure what I should be looking for o_O
I'm looking for a switch that is bigger, more sturdy as it will be fitted on the outside of a cabinet.

Brgds, Thomas

Thomas B

May 23, 2015
I managed to pulle the small switch apart after all, and I believe this is how it work:
3waypos-small-opened.jpg

I guess the question is this: what type of 3-position switch behave this way?

/Thomas

Thomas B

May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Thomas B

May 23, 2015
Thanks for the help guys, the 2P3T switch did the trick.
I also managed to figure our how to get the Switchcraft switch working if anyone's interested

Switchcraft-DPDT-Switch-Mod.gif