Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AV audio video red yellow white application

morphingstar

Mar 1, 2012
I bought a set of AV transmitter receiver. Cinch (lotus) inputs, white, red, yellow.
While testing it I discovered the yellow video input would handle audio signals.
Used this way would make it a 3-channel audio transmission. Application stereo music + 1 microphone.
Am I looking for trouble this way or am I just lucky having 3 x audio?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the yellow line is 99.9999% of the time the video input
ie. it will be on your unit as well
it will possibly work for audio but the circuitry isn't designed for that

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I bought a set of AV transmitter receiver. Cinch (lotus) inputs, white, red, yellow.
While testing it I discovered the yellow video input would handle audio signals.
Used this way would make it a 3-channel audio transmission. Application stereo music + 1 microphone.
Am I looking for trouble this way or am I just lucky having 3 x audio?
Perhaps you are just lucky having 3 x audio... but perhaps you need more detail...
White is almost always Left-Audio, Red is almost always Right-Audio.
If a receiving unit.. (ie, a VCR) does not have a Red input, it treats the White Left-channel audio is 'Mono' which will be directed to both Left and Right speakers.

What you need to determine is if the Audio that gets transmitted via the Yellow input is directed to the Left Channel, Right Channel or Both, or if it simply remains on the Yellow output of the AV transmitter receiver.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
uh huh ... personally I think its a really bad idea to stick audio into a video modulator and RF transmitter

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
Technically speaking, you have a bandwidth of 3.8 / 4.43 MHz available which can be used for an analog signal ....... :rolleyes:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
An analog signal that usually is asymmetrical about ground. The yellow input might have a DC clamp trying to figure out where the back porch is.

ak

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
An analog signal that usually is asymmetrical about ground. The yellow input might have a DC clamp trying to figure out where the back porch is.

ak

Yes. So offset a DC 0f .5 Volts and Ensure p-p < 1.0 volt. Technically possible to transport Audio, but ...

it will possibly work for audio but the circuitry isn't designed for that

morphingstar

Mar 1, 2012
Ok, thanks. It seems none of you has actually done it and checked the results.
Detail answers:
Audio into yellow TX appears at yellow RX. No crossover to white / red.
<<DC clamp trying to figure out where the back porch>> No clue, it is an unbalanced input / output with signal and ground contact. (Obviously).
The receiving unit is a stage music amplifier with 1/4Jacks.
<<bad idea >> why, if it works? Facts, please. That is why I asked.

I'll try it more. No warnings received based on facts. I'll let you know in a while what experience tells me. Thanks for now.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
<<DC clamp trying to figure out where the back porch>> No clue,

that's video stuff that is taken care of in the video circuitry in the transmitter ( the circuitry that you are pumping audio into instead of video

JWHassler

Dec 22, 2014
The frequency-response of the video circuit might not go as low as you want for audio.
But if you're happy with the sound, there's no harm done.