Maker Pro
Maker Pro

powered computer speaker

rtrg

Oct 22, 2015
Please move as needed, I have a pair of KOSS HD/6 powered speakers. Unlike most they are MONO on each on. 3,5mm mono input, power switch, volume, bass boost switch each one. I made a dedicated Y cable with stereo plug to two mono plugs of a 6 foot length. Works fine until one site smoked. 6 to 9 volt DC supply each.

As a replacement I bought 4 PAM8610 based stereo amp modules. I will use them as 2 mono amps as before. The module uses a 3.5mm stereo jack as the input, a 4 point barrier strip for output, a ganged volume control, ganged, with a jumpered power connector which could be used as a power switch.

The issue is that the connection points for all are not printed anywhere on the board. I cannot tell from the foil side where those connections are. I have several varieties of Y's both commercial and handmade. Dedicated to a specific application. In this case should I use my dedicated Y to maintain a mono input into 2 boards from a stereo output? A commercial 3 plug stereo y? A commercial stereo to 2 mono pin plugs? Do I need to use 2 speakers on one board to determine the relationship between the input and output connections due to the lack of markings? The goal here is to feed 1/2 of the stereo signal to each module/speaker. All advice welcome.
[Mod note - email removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
show us some photos of the board(s)

rtrg

Oct 22, 2015
Picture 003.jpg Here is the EB listing front page. The red small photo is the foil side if you can enlarge it you will see no markings and no obvious connection routes between in and out.

rtrg

Oct 22, 2015
Here is the foil side. I hope they are large enough. You can always print them and enlarge. Apparently documentation does not exist.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 80

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hey rtrg,
No offence, just post a link to the item. Let us read the description.
I doubt your 'dedicated' Y leads or commercial leads have any blame..
Your problem is, where do I connect the wires..

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
PLEASE give us the eBay listing/Auction number
that's all we ask for

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I don't know whether you scrolled down to see the 'labeled' connections?
All the ones I checked were clearly labeled.
Also, they are stereo amps!
I think you wired one speaker across the left and right outputs (two outside connections).
I doubt they are bridgeable, because the description would have said and there would normally be a separate switch for bridge mode.
Are you trying to get a poor mans quadrophonic sound?
Two mono amps would have been perfect for you to adjust volume independantly.

Still waiting for the link...

Martin

rtrg

Oct 22, 2015
DAVENN--- EBAY item number is 400935453337.

For MARTIN--- I am simply trying to use 1 channel from each board for independent volume control. The fact that I see NO markings in the EB photos means I do not know which channel is represented by the input PIN and RING and which channel output connection is associated with that same TIP and RING. It seems simple markings would solve that or a printed manual. Apparently neither exists.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
rtrg,
As they are stereo amps and you only want to use one channel, you will need to put a load on the channel you are not using. (some homework for you).

PS. DC centre pin is +

trs amp.png

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
It appears that Solid State amps don't need a load. So you should be fine.
Ignore that comment in the above post.
Old habbits die hard!!

Martin

rtrg

Oct 22, 2015
Thanks for the info. I knew this was a simple issue. The drawing you found is very useful. Exactly what I needed. I could not find this anywhere including a number of vendors. Should I use a dual mono to stereo Y from the desktop to TWO amps LEFT or RIGHT channel only, or a dual stereo to stereo Y, same connection. The volume control is ganged, and I presume I can leave one output open. In this way the TIP and RING at the desktop feeds each amp at either TIP and TIP or TIP and RING, common ground both ends. Do you know if the volume is SWITCHED? Or is a switch used at the black jumper?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
rtrg,
Sorry, I forgot that CDRIVE isn't allowed to play out today!

You seem to have a deep fascination with adaptors!
Both the amps have a stereo jack input. The computer sound card has a stereo output. Just keep things simple and use a stereo splitter.
Just wire one amp output to left speaker and the other amp to the right speaker.
Do you know if the volume is SWITCHED? Or is a switch used at the black jumper?
No...And I doubt they would go to that expense. They wouldn't have put a jumper switch as well!

Martin

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but you cannot use a simple Y connector to connect both left and right channels to a mono map. You need a mixer in between. Fortunately, a mixer can be very simple. Run a 10K resistor from each output to the single input of the mono amp. This will add the two channels.

Bob

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Marty, you didn't need me at all. Bob grabbed the bull by the ba .. horns and solved the problem. I was getting confused anyway.

Chris

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@CDRIVE , I did need you !
The OP KNEW! Ok, never mind, youre still not allowed to play!.
I'll ask mommy if you can play tomorrow..

@BobK It will be hard work, but try and read it from the beginning. I think I managed to sort half the problem. Even 3/4s...

Martin

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
The fact is ... Bob is sharp as a tack. I don't think he needs help with anything. ;)

Chris

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The fact is ... Bob is sharp as a tack. I don't think he needs help with anything. ;)

Chris
Ooh, you have come out to play!
But he bought two stereo amps! to replace mono amps..
I doubt they were mono. Just a stereo amp with speaker and an aditional speaker lead for the other speaker. My job here is done. Beam me up scotty...:p