Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My video on NOR gates: transistor design, and CMOS gate array implementation

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
Just wanted to post a link to my YouTube video on NOR logic gates and their CMOS transistor design and CMOS gate array implementations. I hope I didn't make any mistakes in the video (I tried to "proof" it many times). It also has a section on other integrated circuit designs and the IC manufacturing process, etc.

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
Hi Mark,
Nice video..You sound like a robot though!!

Thanks!... I guess :) I created most of the audio after a cold, and my voice wasn't back to normal yet. I could have used a computer generated voice (like I have in the past, which I got a complaint about too) which actually sounds pretty good.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I actually liked the video..I was expecting a sales ending...with a web site to visit..
But very well done!
Now, can you do a video on transistor junctions? That would be a hit on this forum...

Martin

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
This video is excellent, what do you do for a job? I do not here robot at 6:50, I hear a broken man that was denied the chance to use CMOS fabrication equipment. I feel your pain.

Last edited:

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
I actually liked the video..I was expecting a sales ending...with a web site to visit..
But very well done!
Now, can you do a video on transistor junctions? That would be a hit on this forum...

Martin
Thanks! No sales intended. And I'm sure I will never see a check from YouTube. If I could get my dog to cooperate, maybe I could create a viral video :) But, he's been resistant.

As far as transistor junctions go, I would have to read up on it a bit. I haven't had a course in this stuff in over 26 years (I'm a computer programmer, but my B.S. was in Computer Engineering)

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
This video is excellent, what do you do for a job? I do not here robot at 6:50, I hear a broken man that was denied the chance to use CMOS fabrication equipment. I feel your pain.
Thanks! BTW, when I was getting my M.S. in Computer Science, I did sign up for a course where you build your own computer (soldering, etc. I'm not talking about buying a motherboard, and plugging in this harddrive, etc.) taught in the Computer Engineering department, but it got canceled because not enough people signed up. But, I feel worse now about how much today's students get to do at my old university that weren't possible then - free (I think) 3d printing, free use of arduino boards, raspberry pi's, etc. I remember I wanted to create a video of my computer graphics to send to Siggraph. We got someone from a local TV station to film it, but he couldn't because the sync rate of the SUN monitor didn't match the video camera. Needed a very expensive signal converter that we couldn't get. But now, there's zillions of ways of creating a video. I guess I should be happy that technology has progressed so much.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
As far as transistor junctions go, I would have to read up on it a bit. I haven't had a course in this stuff in over 26 years
No need to read up on them. All is given here factually and physics behind them too.
OK, I lied a little about reading!! But hey, research is a good video?

Martin

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
I think the falling costs of our advancing technology is excellent. Thanks to movements such as Hackspace and Raspberry pi, hobbyists can now do so much more than ever before. Though I think that there benefits of the past technology, for example the 8080 old hardware just seems so much more understandable than the new technology. 8080 microcontrollers are to be found in early PC's but I cant find any AVR's (would be strange if I did) in modern PC's, which is disappointing. In the modern PC's there is a bunch of hyper-complex electronics that is nigh impossible to understand but for a few people, whereas microcontroller technology is hackable, the large masses of firmware that run graphical os's on our modern machines is of no use to somebody that wants to edit functionality.

For example ROM hacks on, say, a gameboy is something that a hobbyist can achieve, it uses a slight variant of the 8 bit zilog z80 that interface with ROM cartidges. But a nintendo wii uses a broadway 32 bit processor and interfaces with optical disks, not something that is easy to understand.

That went on for a while.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I am not sure what that was all about!
But it sounded impressive!
I have a gameboy that still works.:)

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
I am not sure what that was all about!
But it sounded impressive!
I have a gameboy that still works.:)

Would like a gameboy. I have a gameboy colour (not working, the (not so) fabled blanked nintendo logo shows whatever I do, I suspect a faulty cartridge connection) which I hope to do something with once I have finished my flight sim.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hey Lavaguava, I have all the old Gameboys. In fact, two of each.
And hundreds of games!.
My children are 18 and 15 and will never touch one again.
I will keep them all boxed just in case. Like the PS, PS 2" screen, PS1, 2, 2 slim, 3 and now 4.
Will it ever end?
Never did get xbox..
I will trade all the Gameboy for scalextric!!!
I have collected scalextric for 38 years..

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Just wanted to post a link to my YouTube video on NOR logic gates and their CMOS transistor design and CMOS gate array implementations

hi there and welcome

I deleted the other thread with just the video, since you already have it in this thread :)

Dave

Last edited:

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
Would like a gameboy. I have a gameboy colour (not working, the (not so) fabled blanked nintendo logo shows whatever I do, I suspect a faulty cartridge connection) which I hope to do something with once I have finished my flight sim.
BTW, I just fixed my old (original) XBox. Someone drove into a power pole and when the power came back on, my XBox was fried. I connected an ATX power supply to it (connecting the XBox wires to the right ATX wires).

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
I think the falling costs of our advancing technology is excellent. Thanks to movements such as Hackspace and Raspberry pi, hobbyists can now do so much more than ever before. Though I think that there benefits of the past technology, for example the 8080 old hardware just seems so much more understandable than the new technology. 8080 microcontrollers are to be found in early PC's but I cant find any AVR's (would be strange if I did) in modern PC's, which is disappointing. In the modern PC's there is a bunch of hyper-complex electronics that is nigh impossible to understand but for a few people, whereas microcontroller technology is hackable, the large masses of firmware that run graphical os's on our modern machines is of no use to somebody that wants to edit functionality.

For example ROM hacks on, say, a gameboy is something that a hobbyist can achieve, it uses a slight variant of the 8 bit zilog z80 that interface with ROM cartidges. But a nintendo wii uses a broadway 32 bit processor and interfaces with optical disks, not something that is easy to understand.

That went on for a while.
Not to mention the GPU's that are so complex that the manufacturers typically can't even eliminate the bugs in them. Or make them compatible with other manufacturer's GPU's. And OS makers (and computer programmers) who after realizing there's no easy way around the buggy GPU's, just blacklist them. (I'm thinking about Intel graphics chips specifically).

I remember taking an "Intro to VLSI" class in college. We studied a particular chip in depth. I can't remember what chip it was, but I did think, at the time, that it probably wasn't used much in the real world. I'm sure now it wouldn't be used at all.

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
No need to read up on them. All is given here factually and physics behind them too.
OK, I lied a little about reading!! But hey, research is a good video?

Martin
Wow, that's quite a BOOK on the subject :) (a lot to read). I guess I would have to figure out who the audience would be to determine how technical to get. BTW, I wrote an HDR photography article for a local magazine. They rejected it saying it was too technical (even though I said I wrote it so that the technical section could be taken out easily). So I sent it to my college alumni magazine. They rejected it too saying it was too technical (funny since the college has "Technology" in it's title). BTW, both of those would have been for no money.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You are obviously very talented.
Some might shy away from technical 'stuff'..
But this is truly a technical forum.. And yes, what a book that could be! But what side of the fence are you?....There you go, a name!! That will cause some fun here!!

Martin

mcsoftware

Oct 13, 2015
You are obviously very talented.
Some might shy away from technical 'stuff'..
But this is truly a technical forum.. And yes, what a book that could be! But what side of the fence are you?....There you go, a name!! That will cause some fun here!!

Martin
Side of the fence meaning technical or less technical? Or the debate in the thread you mentioned? If the former, I'm used to people not wanting to talk technical (they find it nerdy or geeky), but I do sometimes miss being able to talk about programming, electronics, math, etc. to someone who wants to hear it. Don't get me wrong, the (perhaps) stereotypical example of programming "nerds" talking about the advantages of one sort method over another would completely bore me. I just use a quicksort because it's built into the language, I don't care how it compares to whatever the latest sort method is. Though, in general, I do care about speed. Sorry if that's too off-topic. Getting back to the video... I guess my goal was to put enough in there to be informative (so knowledgeable people will find something of interest) but also give something to people, who don't know the subject, to spark an interest. That's why I put in the slightly off-topic stuff at the end of the video (to make people curious about what could be done/learned, etc.). Even the 4 dimensional quaternion Julia fractal image at the end was meant to cause someone to say, "wow, what's that? How's it done?". Sadly, most people don't go to the end of videos (especially if it's past the credits).