Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Negative Spike Voltage

Kurte Moyo

Dec 28, 2015
Hello there! I am doing my thesis today and I want to know if what circuit is suitable for filtering the negative spike voltage. Out thesis is regarding the Sudden acceleration of the vehicles, and one cause of it is the negative spike voltage entering the A/D Converter. We want to design a circuit that will filter / neglect the negative spike voltage coming from the battery and the sensors. We are also open to any suggestion that will help us regarding our topics. Thank you and God bless!!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Really? I thought the research indicated that sudden acceleration was generally caused by a driver hitting the accelerator when they thought they were hitting the brake. Can you link to anything that says it is negative voltage spikes?

Bob

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
Sudden acceleration of the vehicles, and one cause of it is the negative spike voltage entering the A/D Converter.
What kind of vehicle? Electric? So many questions, so little information.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
You could perhaps use a series resistor and Schottky diode to clamp the A/D input to within ~0.3V of the ground rail.

Kurte Moyo

Dec 28, 2015
Really? I thought the research indicated that sudden acceleration was generally caused by a driver hitting the accelerator when they thought they were hitting the brake. Can you link to anything that says it is negative voltage spikes?

Bob
Sir Bob according to the article " A more Detailed Electronic Mechanism for SUA" of Ronald A. Belt he said that "
Sudden acceleration has been observed in all makes and models of automobiles having electronic
throttles. This includes hybrid electric vehicles, which have an internal combustion engine (ICE) that
uses an electronic throttle. The author has developed an electronic theory of sudden acceleration which
explains the cause of sudden acceleration in all vehicles having electronic throttles
. The cause is attributed to a negative voltage spike which upsets the control system for the electronic throttle, resulting
in a wide open throttle."

the negative voltage spike coming from the battery or from the sensors when sampled by the A/D Converter, it causes malfunctioning of the ECU and the desired output is wrong.

Last edited:

Kurte Moyo

Dec 28, 2015
What kind of vehicle? Electric? So many questions, so little information.

automatic transmission vehicles sir. The data or information gathered by the Engine Control Unit is wrong when there is a negative voltage spike from the battery or from different sensors.

Kurte Moyo

Dec 28, 2015
You could perhaps use a series resistor and Schottky diode to clamp the A/D input to within ~0.3V of the ground rail.
Sir Alec, I will connect it before the A/D converter of the ECU? if there are multiple input from different sensors can I filter also the voltages coming from the sensors just only one Clamp Circuit or in every sensor input one Clamp circuit ? thank you so much sir]

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If your ADC has multiple inputs you will need a respective clamp circuit for each one.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Sir Bob according to the article " A more Detailed Electronic Mechanism for SUA" of Ronald A. Belt he said that "
Sudden acceleration has been observed in all makes and models of automobiles having electronic
throttles. This includes hybrid electric vehicles, which have an internal combustion engine (ICE) that
uses an electronic throttle. The author has developed an electronic theory of sudden acceleration which
explains the cause of sudden acceleration in all vehicles having electronic throttles
. The cause is attributed to a negative voltage spike which upsets the control system for the electronic throttle, resulting
in a wide open throttle."

the negative voltage spike coming from the battery or from the sensors when sampled by the A/D Converter, it causes malfunctioning of the ECU and the desired output is wrong.
In all makes and models, which use different software and hardware? Not likely.

Stupid people who press the wrong pedal is still the best explanation of "sudden acceleration".

Bob

Last edited:

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Hey Bob! I love a guy that has convictions and sticks to them. Here in S. Florida the term "Drive Through" takes on a whole new meaning. Cinder Block walls are little protection. Reinforced Concrete is the only barrier that stops them! Even then it's little protection for some that must get to the front of the Early Bird line.:p

RE.. ECU spike protection: Don't all ECU equipped vehicles already have spike protection? Hell, an automobile is a portable EMI / RFI and electrostatic generator!:eek:

Chris