Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Burglar alarm - Can it be done ?

moca111

Dec 13, 2015
Hello,
Guys I'm pretty new to electronics, i have some basics skills. I'm wondering how could I realize this.
I'm have a alarm that plugs into A/C socket. It's the basic one with the keypad for your password combination. I'm finding it very unpractical. What I want is to make ti arm on and off with a key chain that has a button, so I don't have to type the combination on the keypad.
I'm wondering is there maybe some kit that i could buy and solder it in ? Or what would you suggest ?
Thanks.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I don't think an opinion can be given without more information. Bare minimum: photos of the device and or link to the product page.

Chris

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
I suggest that you ring the supplier/manufacturer and ask if they have an alternative to their keypad entry system.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
"It's the basic one with the keypad for your password combination."

That's kind of like saying your car is the one with a steering wheel, and foot pedals for accelerating and braking. There are a lot of different manufacturers, and alarm systems have evolved a lot over the years. A manufacturer name and model number would be extremely helpful here.

Is the keypad separate from the control panel, or physically part of it?

Is it a simple 2 or 3-prong power plug that plugs into line power, or is it a transformer that's plugged in? If a transformer, what are the ratings? (Voltage and VA / Watts?) If there's no transformer, then you have a hardware-store variety system that probably doesn't offer much in the way of options. If there is a board of labeled screw terminals, a good picture might show an option.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
You could always rip it out and buy/install a cheap car alarm in the home...
They have remote keyfobs that let you arm/disarm, and the 12V can be easily supplied.
You would have to put up with the arm/disarm chirp though xD

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
You could always rip it out and buy/install a cheap car alarm in the home...
They have remote keyfobs that let you arm/disarm, and the 12V can be easily supplied.
You would have to put up with the arm/disarm chirp though xD

Gyrd, I wouldn't recommend it. Home alarm systems and car alarm systems are different animals, and not well-suited to each other's applications.

One obvious difference is that home alarms need multiple zones not to be a nightmare to troubleshoot if/when a recurring false alarm develops. Home false alarms are more serious than car alarms, which largely go ignored in parking lots these days. The OP does not want to train his neighbors to ignore his alarm siren, and many municipalities charge heavy fines for continued false alarms. Aside from that, even the cheap home alarms have more features and versatility than car alarms for the last couple of decades.

Whatever the current system may be, if it uses RF sensor/transmitters to cover his/her windows and doors, it's unlikely that the system RF Receiver could be interfaced with a car alarm. If the current system is hardwired, it's almost certain to support multiple zones unless it's over 35 years old.

It's possible that a hardware store or Radio Shack DIY hardwire model control will carry a couple of input terminals for an Arm/Disarm dry closure switch--there were a number of cheap models that did that--and a garage door RF Receiver can be used to interface an RF key fob.

I was thinking about mentioning that yesterday, but I was waiting for a make and model number before I started listing all the possible contingencies from all the different makes and models. It's entirely possible that he already has a system that supports an RF Receiver and key fob,

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Gyrd, I wouldn't recommend it. Home alarm systems and car alarm systems are different animals, and not well-suited to each other's applications.

One obvious difference is that home alarms need multiple zones not to be a nightmare to troubleshoot if/when a recurring false alarm develops. Home false alarms are more serious than car alarms, which largely go ignored in parking lots these days. The OP does not want to train his neighbors to ignore his alarm siren, and many municipalities charge heavy fines for continued false alarms. Aside from that, even the cheap home alarms have more features and versatility than car alarms for the last couple of decades.

Whatever the current system may be, if it uses RF sensor/transmitters to cover his/her windows and doors, it's unlikely that the system RF Receiver could be interfaced with a car alarm. If the current system is hardwired, it's almost certain to support multiple zones unless it's over 35 years old.

It's possible that a hardware store or Radio Shack DIY hardwire model control will carry a couple of input terminals for an Arm/Disarm dry closure switch--there were a number of cheap models that did that--and a garage door RF Receiver can be used to interface an RF key fob.

I was thinking about mentioning that yesterday, but I was waiting for a make and model number before I started listing all the possible contingencies from all the different makes and models. It's entirely possible that he already has a system that supports an RF Receiver and key fob,
The car alarm is limited yes. I doubt you can interface any RF door/window sensors to one anyway, and even if you could the car alarm would typically have 3-zones at most (Trunk, Door(s), Hood... and optionally a sensor to detect motion... ie collision).
The car alarm would be limited to what the op wants to monitor. If you only want to keep tabs on a couple doors, it's fine. If you plan to monitor all the windows and doors in a multi-floor dwelling then you need to spring for a proper home alarm with an RF keyfob.
Honestly, I plan to use one in my detached garage. If you build it simple, troubleshooting may be hard with multiple inputs, but if you put in the time, you can put in a circuit that site inbetween the car alarm and sensor and latches in position that will indicate which sensor went off. (You can use the output from the car alarm to reset the latch when you arm the system to allow exit from the premises)

I should mention that 'local' alarms like a car alarm wont dial out to Emergency services... and the false alarm situation can very well happen with an improperly installed home alarm anyway. In my region, if an alarm dials out, then I can be charged for false alarms.
If someone decides to call emergency services on my behalf because the car siren is going off, then I'm fine. This needs to be looked into by the OP though.

moca111

Dec 13, 2015
Thank you guys for the recommended solutions. I think i like the one with the car alarm the best. I'm going to try to pull it off.