Maker Pro
Maker Pro

IR device fitted to battery operated night lights

gonetopilbara

Jan 11, 2016
Hello,

I have multiple battery operated night lights in a single room.

They all run on 3 x AA batteries (1.5v each).

What I want to do is have them come on using an infrared device much like a TV remote.

Ultimately what would be even better is if I can program 1 button to turn them all on at the same time.

I have seen a 6v DC device on ebay that comes with 12 receivers and a remote with 12 buttons.

1. This is probably a stupid question, but will the 3 AA's (4.5v) actually be enough power for the IR to work or is there a lower powered IR receiver that I need to use?

2. Is it possible to program all of these IR receivers to work off the one button or must I program only one receiver to one button?

I can put up the link to the ebay product if required. Not sure if the rules permit this.

Looking forward to your help.

Bill

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Yes, please supply the link. Also, whatever information you have on the nite lights.

Many IR remotes use digital coding to prevent accidentally triggering the wrong remote, but the same coding can be used to assign one transmitter code to several remotes.

AA batteries should be plenty enough power for this. What is the max distance from the remote to the farthest receiver?

ak

gonetopilbara

Jan 11, 2016
Yes, please supply the link. Also, whatever information you have on the nite lights.

Many IR remotes use digital coding to prevent accidentally triggering the wrong remote, but the same coding can be used to assign one transmitter code to several remotes.

AA batteries should be plenty enough power for this. What is the max distance from the remote to the farthest receiver?

ak

Hi,

These are the receivers and remote.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-6V-12...289413?hash=item3ab0249045:g:kksAAOSwyQtV1aDV

These are some of the nightlights

http://www.toys4kidsonline.com.au/c...nd-with-lightsaber-3d-fx-night-light-set-of-2

Maximum distance would be around 4 metres.

Bill

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The links answer many questions; thanks. BTW, the remote control parts in the link are radio controlled, not RF. Range probably is 1/4 mile through walls and floors.

So, how do you envision powering the receivers and the lights? The even with turning them off during the day, the lights will suck down a lot of batteries. And the receivers, if battery powered, will be worse because the radio has to be activated all the time and the relay coil is activated whenever the lights are on. There are ways around this, but I think you need to work out a power scheme.

ak

gonetopilbara

Jan 11, 2016
The links answer many questions; thanks. BTW, the remote control parts in the link are radio controlled, not RF. Range probably is 1/4 mile through walls and floors.

So, how do you envision powering the receivers and the lights? The even with turning them off during the day, the lights will suck down a lot of batteries. And the receivers, if battery powered, will be worse because the radio has to be activated all the time and the relay coil is activated whenever the lights are on. There are ways around this, but I think you need to work out a power scheme.

ak
Ok,

Is there another way to achieve what I want to achieve?

Basically I just want to be able to push a remote button to turn on these battery powered lights in my theatre room at night for the visual effect.

Bill