Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Scavenging MOT's for bench power supply use?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I was contemplating re-purposing some microwave oven transformers that I have on hand. They are beastly things, but in my research I have discovered that they can not be used for extensive time periods because they operate in saturation? Can someone explain this to me?

My intent is to rewind the secondary down to about 44VAC center tapped. This should give me enough room to be rectified and then fed through two linear v.regulator to give me two separate outputs. If the trafo operates in saturation for long, wouldn't it get too hot and eventually burn off the varnished windings?

Thanks as always

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Connect it to the mains with open output and feel it after a period of time
I would try that Colin, but since the output is high voltage, kv in this case, I don't think it would be safe and I do not have any insulating tapes that go over 600v. I agree that this would be the simplest approach, but I was hoping someone with theoretical knowledge would be able to comment on whether this is true or not.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
You just wind them with tape and put a coke cola bottle over each lead.

The outcome will be different if the output is loaded or not. You are just determining the worst outcome.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I was contemplating re-purposing some microwave oven transformers that I have on hand.

Honestly, mate, I wouldn't really consider this as an option
There must be lots of other bits of old gear you can scrounge transformers from
eg. old audio amplifiers