Maker Pro
Maker Pro

hardware learning

Ped

Jul 2, 2016
Hello all
I am an electronics engineer and my doubt here is in my under graduate i was learning all about electronics theoritically , but now i need to know things practically by designing some hardware models how can i start this?? what are the things i need? And what are the books i need to refer? It would be great if any one helps.....
Thanks in advance
I

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
In my experience, theory was the requirement for design.
You could look at places like Talking Electronics but it is more theory with practical building circuits if the latter is what you mean you need.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
If you are currently employed in an area using electronics design, the best thing you could do is find a mentor to direct you. I was very fortunate to have a mentor when I started my career, a fellow employee super-technician who did engineering design without a college degree. His most important advice to me was to continue my part-time studies and get an engineering degree. It took ten long years, in the meantime raising four children and providing an income for my family, but I stuck with it. In addition to my formal studies, I had the opportunity to work as a technician in a well-equipped electronics laboratory. I also had an electronics workbench at home, but the difference between hobby electronics and commercial electronics equipment is huge. I eventually did most of my "hobby" work after-hours at my employer.

Still, I would strongly recommend that you start a home electronics laboratory if you have not done so yet. Begin small and purchase test equipment as you can afford it. The best test equipment is whatever works for you, not the most expensive. There are many bargains on both new and used test equipment to be found on the Internet, but you need to be careful that what you purchase actually works as described by the seller. A warranty-return capability is desirable, whether for replacement or a refund. Some sellers sell equipment "as is" and do not accept returns for replacement or refund. Beware of such sellers.

There is a minimum of equipment you need to get started: a multimeter, a soldering iron and good rosin-core electronics solder (lead/tin 60/40 if you can find it), long-nose or needle-nose pliers, diagonal cutters, screw drivers, nut drivers and small wrenches, a good light for the workbench, a magnifying headset... and components. I started out as a young boy taking apart discarded television sets to salvage parts. I still salvage parts, but the electronics have changed. You need to decide what course you will pursue in a career before choosing a set of home tools and components. In other words: set a goal. As you become older and more experienced, modify your goal as needed to accommodate your interests and circumstances. Read the trade journals and published papers appropriate to your field. Join engineering societies and participate in their activities. Visit libraries and borrow technical books to study at home. Your education did not end with graduation. The purpose of college was to teach you how to learn. A secondary benefit occurs only if you actually learn something.

So, tell us what you want to DO with your life. Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Ped

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You should just become a hobbyist like me. I have no trouble putting together circuits without knowing what I am doing. :)

Bob

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You also need decide at some point if you just want to stay with digital/analogue logic etc or micro processor.
But for now there is many little projects out there based around the 555 ic, such as a simple PWM DC motor controller, parts can be had off the internet, but I suggest you use someone like Digikey if you are in N.A.
not only do they have reliable original manuf parts but every search will also provide a PDF of the item.
There is also a Triac controller for your router etc for AC based circuits.
M.

Ped

Jul 2, 2016
Thank you all for your valuable suggestion.......I'll start right from today....thanx for the encouragement...

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Hello all
I am an electronics engineer and my doubt here is in my under graduate i was learning all about electronics theoritically , but now i need to know things practically by designing some hardware models how can i start this?? what are the things i need? And what are the books i need to refer? It would be great if any one helps.....
Thanks in advance
I

Power supplies are a good place to start since later projects will require a power source of some kind. A breadboard is a good start, building circuits on a breadboard powered by a power supply.

5 Volt power supply, about 300 mA or so is good.
+12 and -12 V power supply for op amp circuits, 100 mA or so.
Adjustable voltage sources are handy for learning about components. These can be as simple as a pot and an op amp, maybe a transistor buffer on the output.
If interested in any of these I can supply circuit examples.

Ped

Jul 2, 2016
Ya please give some examples to start the work.....

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Ya please give some examples to start the work.....

PDF file okay? Design 629. + and - 12 V with two variable voltage sources. As a simpler option you can just use + and - 12 V in batteries. This gives you a suitable + and - V for op amp exercises and a variable +V to - V at 100 mA or more for other exercises.
Do you have a breadboard and multimeter?

Attachments

• Design 629 Breadboard doodads analog.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 58

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Ya i have both multimeter and breadboard..

Good start. How are you set up for power sources? How are you set up for components? Where do you normally buy parts from? I will see if we can stay coordinated on these things.
Me? I am a retired tech school teacher. I, literally, have hundreds of wall wart power supplies for projects and a school's worth of components at my disposal.

Ped

Jul 2, 2016
I'll get components from electronics street here in local...so as a first step i will try the design which you sent me today....

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
I'll get components from electronics street here in local...so as a first step i will try the design which you sent me today....

It would help me specify parts if I knew what you had available. Local is good. Are you in Seoul? Electronics Market? Great place. Everything available at good prices there.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
I am from India..

I don't know what stuff is available in India. We will find out as we go along.
Do you have any specific interests in mind for circuits. Analog? Digital? Microprocessor? Practical circuits? Educational circuits?
Let's start with some classroom basics and see if they fit your expectations.
Diode exercise. Get to know the basic characteristics of diodes.

Too simple?

Attachments

• Design 696 Diode Lab.pdf
    5.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Design 689 Drawings Diode Exercises many.pdf
    9.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Ped

Jul 2, 2016
ya i am interested in all analog, digital, processor, controllers, practical circuits....i am interested in knowing these all things...pls do help me....

Ped

Jul 2, 2016
give some daily excercise as you gave above regarding diodes, it was very helpful for me to learn.....thank you very much......

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Check out the μp Tutorials by Nigel Goodwin also available out there in C.
M.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
give some daily excercise as you gave above regarding diodes, it was very helpful for me to learn.....thank you very much......

Bipolar junction transistors. NPN to start.

Attachments

• Design 612 NPN transistor.pdf
    45.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Design 616 transistor erxercise 1 and 2.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 55