Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reed switch

Netrack

Sep 15, 2016
Hi and apologies but I am a complete noob. I am trying to build a circuit with some surface mounted reed switches (3-5) and a simple electric door lock powered by a small 12v battery. I have found a battery that is rated to 1.2 amps and the door lock draws 600ma but I cannot find any reed switches in the UK that I can use as they all seem to be rated for 500ma max. I was after the type with screw connectors rather than those that fit breadboards.

The door lock can be found here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...ecure+bolt&dpPl=1&dpID=41EJ4YunO9L&ref=plSrch

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You should use a low power reed relay and use a transistor as a switch.
The transistor should be capable of 1A and the base should be driven by a current of about 20 to 50mA.
If you use a fet, the gate should be raised to 12V to turn it on and a resistor to earth to turn it off.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
That black wire labeled "-12 VDC" should be 0V, which is the negative pole of the +12 V source, shouldn't it? With only one 12 V battery there wil be no 112 V available, nor is it necessary.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The OP mentions SWitches, so they would either have to be NC type or OR'd N.O.
Ones that have terminals are usually the window/door alarm system types and are N.C. all in series, (NAND'ed).
M.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Not only colorful, but Edd invests time and effort to provide good pleasant responses to members.
(-12) should be interpreted as the negative of 12V. A pull-off resistor at the base should be convenient to add.
73 !

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Yep . . . .only one 12 VDC supply involved, and those are referenced as being the two positive and negative terminals of same.

( Those two lines above were created immediately after Sir Haralds comment and have been carried forward in page cache memory of the laptop that they were composed upon. So I now enter that past neglected " Post Entry" and its info is now falling into place . . . 3 entry's later. )

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I always tend to use COM instead of GND to avoid the Earth confusion.
We tend to lable the power e.g. 12DC+ 5vdc+ etc but neglegt the minus side..
Often the commons are usually simple notation instead of the same practice as 12vcom, 5vCOm etc.
M.

Netrack

Sep 15, 2016
Thanks for all the replies very much appreciated! As I mentioned I am a complete noob! What is the tip120 on the diagram and what does this do? I will no doubt have more questions but it might become clearer to me when I understand this bit of the circuit. I figured the switches would need to be NO. As this will be in a cabinet and the switches will need to be spaced apart (will draw something to explain) I guess I could use switches on bread boards but would need separate breadboards for each switch and connect with wires....

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Netrack. . . .

Would it now be logical . . . to consider your other aspect, in the the operation of the solenoid.
Of course that would be the simplest Neanderthalic crypto like consideration of the utilization of 1 through 3 reed switches for the activation of the solenoid.
That would be the assignment of numbers one through nine to a " keypad " with that selective area being all cramped within the closeness of a hand span.
Then some dope comes up and starts pressing any and all inclusive entry possibilities . . .for the rest of his life . .
In hoping to crack the code of the opening of the lock .
In reality the actual operation of the lock is dependent upon from 1 thru 3 series wired reed switches that are being physically located, CLOSE behind their select numbers to be activated by a neodymium magnets proximity of being placed above them.
I max out at three, because I can only visualize the manipulating / positioning of three magnets at one time .

73's de Edd

Last edited: