Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stair Ways light controller

Sidans

Oct 12, 2016
Hello
I need to build a circuit that controls the lights in stair ways as follow:
from any floor I should be able to turn on the light for that floor the turn off the rest by simply pushing a button from the floor I am currently at.
let's say if building has 5 floors, I should be able to turn on the light for second floor when I am there and if I go to 3rd floor I should be able to turn on 3rd floor light and turn off second floor.

think of it as a circuit with 5 push buttons switch and 5 LEDs. each switch can lit the LED it is connected to and turn off the rest.

Any Idea?

Thanks

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Multi-way switching using intermediate and two way switches, wiring is strappers (2 core)between intermediates. Depending on existing arrangement, either switch wire from one end and active from the other or run either switch wire or active with the strapper.
Get an electrician basically.

Sidans

Oct 12, 2016
Multi-way switching using intermediate and two way switches, wiring is strappers (2 core)between intermediates. Depending on existing arrangement, either switch wire from one end and active from the other or run either switch wire or active with the strapper.
Get an electrician basically.

Hello
thank you for the reply.
actually this is not what I am actually trying to do.
I just used the stair way as an example to better explain what I need.

let's put it this way :
I have 5 LEDs that I need to turn on by 5 push buttons that are connected to each LED in a way that at any time if press any of the buttons it should turn on the LED that is connected to and turn off the rest

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Well, if you ask a bike rider how to ride a bike, then best to expect just that.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
A shift register IC can toggle the sequence of your lights 1 thrugh 5, or say, 12, 23, 34, 45. but if you wanted it for a staircase it'd get too complicated for me.
I'm guessing you'd have to have a data structure that'd know if you were going up or down and have memory for each floor?

Sidans

Oct 12, 2016
Well, if you ask a bike rider how to ride a bike, then best to expect just that.
Right, my bad. I might need to make a new post since everyone one here seems to ride the same bike.
thanks

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Design 902 B stairway switches.PNG
Hello
I need to build a circuit that controls the lights in stair ways as follow:
from any floor I should be able to turn on the light for that floor the turn off the rest by simply pushing a button from the floor I am currently at.
let's say if building has 5 floors, I should be able to turn on the light for second floor when I am there and if I go to 3rd floor I should be able to turn on 3rd floor light and turn off second floor.

think of it as a circuit with 5 push buttons switch and 5 LEDs. each switch can lit the LED it is connected to and turn off the rest.

Close thing to your stairway thing is simple as switches. One switch at the bottom of each stair and another at the top of the stairs. But this isn't "one switch turns them all off". That feature requires a controller (Arduino or such) and wiring to all stairs. Or multiple gate chips and dozens of parts with lots of wiring.

Any Idea?

Thanks

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
It sounds like you want something that operates like the radio station selector buttons on a car radio. Press any one button and presto the radio tunes to a particular station and the LED associated with that button comes on. Press another button and the first LED goes off while the radio tunes to a new station and the LED for that button comes on. And so on... each button pressed lights it's associated LED while extinguishing all the other LEDs. Is that about right?

If so, that's five RS latches, each set by its own push-button switch and all the remaining latches reset when any button is pushed. Some spiffy logic is needed to avoid setting multiple RS latches with simultaneous button presses. Maybe also some means to turn off all the LEDs to avoid a whack-a-mole situation. How do you want to handle that? It is fairly easy to propagate the "set" event for any one of the five RS flip-flops as a "reset" signal to the remaining RS flip-flops because their switch buttons won't be depressed. A handful of NAND gates should do it.

Don't make me spell this out! Someone else jump in here.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
20161015_004253-1-1.jpg
I'm new to this stuff but, something along these lines?

Btw, thanks again for setting me straight on the 4017 in the other post Hop.

John

Sidans

Oct 12, 2016
I think I found what I am looking for, thanks to you guys.

Attachments

• multi channel switch.JPG
    multi channel switch.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 50