Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How connect AC motor to mains?

Curioushuman1

Nov 19, 2016
How do I connect this three speed motor directly to the mains?

The second image is the capacitor connected to the red and brown shown in the first image.

There are 4 wires connected to the motor coloured white, yellow ,blue and black respectively. White wire has a high speed label. Yellow has a medium speed label and blue has a low speed label.

I have no knowledge about motors. Hope someone can enlighten me on the

(1)the type of motor that this is and

(2)how to connect it directly to the electrical main

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
It looks as if the capacitor is connected to the brown and red wires.
The black wire is common (neutral) and one of the others is for the live feed.
I do not know the type of motor but it is likely to be some kind of squirrel cage motor. The speed may be controlled by altering the leakage inductance and may need a load (fan?) to obtain the various speeds.

Curioushuman1

Nov 19, 2016
It looks as if the capacitor is connected to the brown and red wires.
The black wire is common (neutral) and one of the others is for the live feed.
I do not know the type of motor but it is likely to be some kind of squirrel cage motor. The speed may be controlled by altering the leakage inductance and may need a load (fan?) to obtain the various speeds.
I tried connecting the black wire to neutral of mains and live of mains to the blue wire but it does not work but I saw a spark.

It's a motor of a fan

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Curioushuman . . . . . . .

First is there any rotary drag of the motor shaft due to deteriorated lube problems.
Your HOT AC line goes to black and stays there .
The other AC line can be tried EXCLUSIVELY, only to blue or yellow or white.
Try a SMART finger spinning on each speed at start up contacts IF the units does / did not start immediately on each of the prior trials.
Prepare to temporarily sub in another 5-10 ufd paper/poly family capacitor of that voltage rating.
That may be the exact reason that you now have that unit.

A business next to me is a national repair center of ceiling fans from your country.
With us sharing the same dumpster I see piles of your capacitors, fan bearings, end clipped wooden fan blades and pull switches in that dumpster.
( I sneak their control nuts from the switches)

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: