Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cell Phone

biferi

Oct 12, 2016
My Sister has a Boost Mobile Cell Phone and it runs Android.

She is getting a new Cell Phone but it is still an Android.

She takes a lot of Photos with her Old Cell phone and they are on her Micro SD Card.

Now after she Activates her New Cell Phone can she just Power the New Cell phone all the way off and the stick the Micro SD Card from her Old phone into it.

Then Power it back on and it will see all the photos on the Card?

I never used a Smart Phone because my eyes are very bad.
But with my Glasses I can tinker with them.

I just want to know if I am right?

Thanks for all the help.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Now after she Activates her New Cell Phone can she just Power the New Cell phone all the way off and the stick the Micro SD Card from her Old phone into it.

Then Power it back on and it will see all the photos on the Card?

That probably should work

Personally I would save all the pic's to the home computer just for good backup of them
and then load ONLY the pic's she really wants into the storage of the new phone
a much better arrangement :)

Dave

Reactions: Ian

biferi

Oct 12, 2016
Thank you for getting back to me.

I did have 2. things I wanted to ask.

One is am I right when a Cell Phone or Tablet takes a Photo it puts it in a Folder calld DCMi or is this just for Cameras?

And two my Sister is taking her old Cell Phone Number over to the new Cell Phone.
So what happens to her Cell Phone Massages are they still up on the old Server?

Or will they be moved over to the new one?

Thank you for all the help.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
One is am I right when a Cell Phone or Tablet takes a Photo it puts it in a Folder calld DCMi or is this just for Cameras?

DCMI is a commonly used folder name

So what happens to her Cell Phone Massages are they still up on the old Server?

Or will they be moved over to the new one?

usually they are on the phone .... I have been through several phones and have been able to port everything except the messages across

some one else may be able to suggest a foolproof way to do I .... I have never succeeded

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
When you say "messages" do you mean her SMS (text) messages?

If so I've had good luck with an app called "SMS Backup & Restore". There are lots of options for how you store the backups. You can either back them up to a cloud service (e.g. Google Drive or Dropbox), store them on your SD card or even transfer them between two phones using WiFi Direct.

Your carrier might have options for this as well. You can try taking the phones into a store to see if they can help you with it.

I also agree with davenn that backing up the pictures is a good idea. FWIW, Google Photos lets you store as many pictures as you want (I think there's a limit to the resolution that they will store them at, though), which is nice to use along with backing them up to your PC.

biferi

Oct 12, 2016
I am so so sorry what I ment to ask is this?

My Sister will be taking her Old Cell Pne Number over to the new Cell Phone.

They told her they can do this and it is another Server.

But my Sister has a lot of Cell Phone Voive Massages on her old Server can she move them over?

And one more thing on her Old Cell Phone I went into her Settings and then Tap on Backup And Restore option.
I see Backup Data with Wi Fi and it has a check in it.
And where it says Backup to Account I Tap this and pick her G Mail account Name.

So am I right it Backedup her Cell PhoneBook?

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
If possible, it's probably easiest to take the two phones into a store for your carrier. They're pretty good at transferring data from old phones to new phones. They also have the advantage of being able to see what exactly you are doing and can show you how to accomplish what you are after. It can be confusing to try to explain what to do on Android phones in a forum like this since not all phones or carriers act exactly the same.

I looked up what's backed up with that backup and restore option and found this:

What gets backed up with Android Backup Service
  • Google Calendar settings
  • Wi-Fi networks & passwords
  • Home screen wallpapers
  • Gmail settings
  • Apps installed through Google Play (backed up on the Play Store app)
  • Display settings (Brightness & Sleep)
  • Language & Input settings
  • Date & Time
  • Third-party app settings & data (varies by app)
Note: Not all apps use Android Backup Service. Some apps may not back up and restore all data.

I think to back up your contacts you need to make sure that your contacts are synced with some sort of service. They're usually synced with your Google account. On my phone (Galaxy S7) if I go to Settings>Accounts>Google it shows that syncing my contacts with my Google account it checked, which means it's automatically backed up.