Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Phone Jack Types

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Some of the schematics I am reading have two types of phone jacks, stereo and mono. the jacks are usually labled as Input and Output, and two out of three have the stereo jack on the input, and the mono jack on the output. I am really getting confused now, because I only have one of each for my project. the foxx diagram has the mono on the input, and the others have the stereo on the input. any good ideas on this? which way is best? most common? does it really matter?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the foxx diagram has the mono on the input, and the others have the stereo on the input. any good ideas on this? which way is best? most common? does it really matter?

the manufacturer will use what is needed to make his product work

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tedstruk . . . . .

The use of a 1/4 in std mono jack on the OUTPUT is correct.
As for the 1/4 std stereo jack being used on the INPUT, there are two functions specifically being accomplished by that different type of jacks utilization . . . . .even though you are inserting a MONO phone plug into it..
The extreme tip connection is inputting the audio input in a normal function.
The second sleeve / stem contact is functioning as a power switch for the WAH box.
The bushing, that the jack is mounted with, is connected to ground.
The battery that runs the unit has its + connection wired to the PCB.
The battery negative is connected to what normally would be our stereo connection of the jack.
When you plug in a standard 1/4 in phone plug its rear stem is going to be making contact to the bushing.
As the plug is inserted deeper . . . the stem then starts to continually contact the first connector, while the separate tip connector stops and is finally resting into the tip connector of the jack.
This leaves a short between the first jack contact and the bushing shell which is grounded .
Thereby that action doubly acts as your units power switch, as long as the input plug is left fully inserted.

(Your unit ALSO has provision of a plug in wall wart DC supply via a mini phone plug . . .but that will be
forthcoming on your schematic . . . . . in progress )

More minor . . .but exacting . . . . . INFO now needed . . . . mainly mechanical.
Confirm:
Do I have to turn the rotary switch to its extreme CW or CCW position for the switch to engage the .047
capacitor ?
After having done that, if I then switch to the other extreme from that reference,will I then find myself on an unused / dead 5th switch detent position ? .

73's de Edd