Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Whats the best schematics capture program?

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
I'm hunting for the best program for drawing circuit diagrams. I found Eagle CAD but that's only good for digital. LTSpice is a good one for passives but it's clunky. I downloaded Autodesk's software (student license) but I haven't dug in.

Anyone have any favorites? I'd like a program that can do digital and non-digital.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I found Eagle CAD but that's only good for digital.
Why do you think so? It has all the necessary functions for analog design, too.

Apart from that: What's 'best' in your opinion?
  • lowest prize?
  • largest library of components?
  • biggest set of automatic functions?
You'll always have to make compromises. As with most other questions of the 'what is the best ...' type, I say there is no 'best ...'. What suits one user very well may be a nightmare for another user.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
That's true, no such thing as one size fits all here. Free.99 is always a good price. I'm actually looking for something that doesn't have specific components I'd just like generic components. i.e eagle makes you specify which package and brand you want. I don't care much about that. But I understand that has to do with PCB development.

What are your go to softwares?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I really like Kicad, free open source and plenty of tutorials, both Kicad and others.
No limit on size.
Or are you looking for something that includes general CAD drawing such as Ladder and panel diagrams.
I think you will have a job finding one for both.
Probably better to get one of each that are best for that particular job.
Otherwise I am not sure of what you mean by non-digital?
M.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
From personal experience: Circuit Wizard has both analogue and digital, circuit creation and "RUN" simulation, PCB rendering (artwork, copper, NC-drill and Gerber). A free download trial version lets you assess the app, with limitation of not saving work. Registration / licence purchase required for full functionality. Profilab Expert used frequently for simulation trials and analysis, but more inclined to modular design using "Makros" (Germany). No discrete components. Turbo-cad has been used to create drawn component-symbols as saved "objects", but no simulation capability (circuit drawing only).