Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connecting LED Array to a microController?

randomuser55

May 7, 2017

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The microcontroller can't directly drive that array.

You should have the microcontroller drive a transistor which will switch a relay.

You could also control it via a MOSFET (a type of transistor) but you would require a common connection between the Arduino power supply and that of the it panel.

Both are fairly simple.

If you look in the resource section, I'm pretty sure we have a resource showing how to switch a load with a transistor.

randomuser55

May 7, 2017
The microcontroller can't directly drive that array.

You should have the microcontroller drive a transistor which will switch a relay.

You could also control it via a MOSFET (a type of transistor) but you would require a common connection between the Arduino power supply and that of the it panel.

Both are fairly simple.

If you look in the resource section, I'm pretty sure we have a resource showing how to switch a load with a transistor.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I am a complete noob when it comes to anything that has to do with electrical wiring. I'll take a look around in the resources, but I understand it about as much as a 5 year old lol. Anyway you could help me along?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ok.

Do you have a multimeter? (very handy, but not absolutely essential)

Do you have a soldering iron?

Are you planning to just switch this array on and off relatively infrequently, or many times per second?

randomuser55

May 7, 2017
I need it to strobe at a specific frequency, I do not have a multimeter, I believe I have a soldering iron somewhere, if not, I'll just run down to radio shack or home depot or something and get them

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ok, if it's flashing rapidly a relay is not a good option -- it will quickly wear out.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, that's probably ok. A MOSFET should be able to switch it quite easily.

What frequency do you want to switch it at? For what purpose?

randomuser55

May 7, 2017
I'm experimenting with a theory a few of my buddies and I have about using a strobing light for plant growth, and what the possible benefits are. We have a sufficient LED light bar we can use for this, but it's old and cheap, with some of the LEDs having burnt out. We're still saving up for a separate lighting system, which I don't anticipate we'll have anytime soon, so this is just a small patch for the IR LEDs that are out. Frequency would vary as we would be experimenting with different ones, but no lower than 10Hz