Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Whats this type of connector

Theantony

May 20, 2017
Hi all.

Just Joined. Does anyone know what type of connector this is.called. Its solderless like a push fit type. Its from a mixing console and it powers the vu meters.

Thanks antony.

Attachments

• IMG_4579.JPG
    IMG_4579.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4583.JPG
    IMG_4583.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 90

Graham

Nov 10, 2009
The method of connecting the wires to the block looks a bit like the kind of connections you get in RJ11 (phone) and RJ45 (data) sockets. I have never seen them used outside of those particular applications though, and not in this straight line format... I assume that once the wires connect to the block, the block itself is then a modular connector to header pins or something similar on the VU meters?

Graham

Nov 10, 2009
Sorry davenn - I wasn't clear enough in my meaning... What I was trying to describe was the way the cable pushes into the fitting in Theantony's images (which I learned from your link is called an IDC), looks similar to the way a Cat5e cable is connected to the back end of an RJ45 socket using a punch-down tool. I've only ever seen that kind of connection in the data/telecom world (as that's kind of my 'day job') - so I didn't realise there appear to be many variations of the technique used within consumer devices also.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I think the question has been pretty-well answered above.
My input if you are trying to replace that connector, is to go with davenn's observation that a Molex connector would be a good and easy to find replacement.
Those push-type blade connector connections were probably originally installed simply because it makes assembly quick and easy at the factory. I don't think you're going to find a lot of them generally available, and Molex connectors are readily available. (You just need to know the 'pitch', or spacing of the sockets in the connector, and the pin size the connector will mate to.)