Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stepping code

shady

Aug 3, 2013
I was just looking for a replacement MCU, namely SAK-C167CS-LM CA+. I know the variation SAK, SAF and SAB has to do with the temperature the MCU can handle, however, I've seen different stepping codes like CA+ and H+, what do these variation mean?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As far as I can see there is no h+ stepping of the SAK-C167CS-LM CA+ (no SAK-C167CS-LM H+ on the Infineon website).
There is, however, a SAB-C167SR-LM HA+.
I'm not familiar wit these controllers so I can't tell you about the differences, Check the datasheet for them.

Different steppings of the same type of chip usually are required for error correction. It is next to impossible to get a complex chip fully correct with the first stepping. Think of the "steppings" as redesigns. The higher stepping is normally the better one (less errors) - exceptions confirming the rule ;)

shady

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks Harald that helped a lot. My mistake i was suppose to write HA+ and not H+. I did speak to Infineon via online support, she explained about the prefix, which I was aware of, however, she didn't know about the stepping code.

If i wanted to replace an MCU with stepping code CA+ with a HA+ it shouldn't make any difference but only would produce less errors?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
If i wanted to replace an MCU with stepping code CA+ with a HA+ it shouldn't make any difference but only would produce less errors?
Presumably yes.
TYpically you'd find the differences in the processor's errata sheet, but there seems to be nonen for this controller. It is likely that in that case the fixes are minor and may not even be obvious to the user (e.g. if the new stepping was made to enhance the yield of the manufacturer).