Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bose AWRC1G wave radio

kempga

Jun 29, 2017
tried to hook up external antenna for better reception (75 ohm). no change in reception. used ohm meter to antenna connection,no reading on meter. any help?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A 75Ω connection describes the impedance of the cable which should be connected to an antenna of 75Ω.
A dipole half a wavelength long will look like a 75Ω resistance at its resonant frequency.
There will be no DC connection between the two sides.

Some antennae have folded elements and will show a DC short, this is most common with TV antennae. You will also see a short with a halo where the cable is tapped into the element.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Some antennae have folded elements and will show a DC short, this is most common with TV antennae.

antennas, not antennae ;) antennae are on insects

also, for interest, a folded dipole is 300 Ohms ( at resonant freq)

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir kempga . . . . .

Me thinks that the mentioned resistance testing is to see if there is continuity between the F connection shell and the central pin connection going on into the internal FM tuner .

THAT IS . . . if there is NO series capacitor being involved in its circuitry design.

My left reference is showing the standard connection of a bit of RF parasitic wire with its proximity / capacitive coupling to the AC line to pick up and get some acquired FM RF into the radio.
That is the case in its factory shipped condition.

If more sensitivity is needed there is the option of external FM antenna input.

BUT that metal boxed tuner schematic does not show on the main schematic, to see if a series cap is being inside.

That should explain all of that, UNLESS your problem is related to AM reception in which case on your age of a set I believe that they had an external AM antenna loop that connects to the radio via a miniature phone plug in addition to and . . . . vice the F connector used on the FM section.
That connection goes into and feeds into a coupling winding on TP611 and TP 612 on the internal AM Ferrite loopstick.

You can get one of them via E-bay if yours is lost or if you are a second owner and never even knew of such a possibility of that AM accessory existing .

Now . . .which is your situation ?
If its the AM situation, I can give you another alternative.

Tech Info Illustration:

Bose Wave Antenna info.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: