Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noob teaching self electronics. Needs help!

Warchild

Jul 5, 2017
Hi! I have always wanted to learn more about electronics and when my samsung plasma started power cycling i decided now was the time. Ok. From what i have read my problem is probably a bad capictor. All the caps look normal so i want to test them in circuit which apparently an esr meter can do but they are kind of expensive. Ok here is my question. Can i use a beginner oscilloscope like this....
http://www.robotshop.com/en/pocket-...KrQP6uL31a6JH5QPu9O6gIhyrD-KQgr4bIaAupD8P8HAQ

To test capicitors in circuit.

Thanks for the help!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Meters to check ESR aren't particularly expensive.

You can't test them 'in circuit' anyway (not properly anyway).

Chinese suppliers are now delivering test sets that have LCD readout and will test practically ANY component - including capacitor ESR - with a digital display of that component and its parameters all for around $10 to $15......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESR-Meter...316090?hash=item2cb866f4ba:g:AakAAOSwdGFY017u

They may not be big name nor may they be perfectly accurate but the one I have does all it claims to a level of accuracy that I'm happy with.

As for the defective plasma - Google the make/model with 'repair kit' and you'll possibly find retailers selling kits of the most common failed items in that set.

Warchild

Jul 5, 2017
Ah thanks for the advice! Apparently there are a lot of misinformed folks out there in internet land (surprise) that believe the whole point of an esr meter is to be able to check a cap without removing it from the circuit board. I will look into the repair kits. And is there such thing as an oscilloscope for beginners?

Thanks again.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
And is there such thing as an oscilloscope for beginners?

You can buy quite reasonably priced units on Ebay.....LCD and CRT ...varying types or there is even one you could get that runs off the sound card in the pc. Latter just a novelty really I think but ......

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Keep in mind that an ESR meter is probably a waste of time. When (remotely modern) TV capacitors get bad enough to cause that kind of behavior, they've usually vented already or are about to, won't look okay.

What is the nature of the power cycling? At turn on does it practically immediately turn off or restart, or does it take a while? If it takes a while that is more indicative of a bad solder joint losing contact as it warms up.