Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring LEDs to Corresponding Switches?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The LEDs in the switches may require a resistor. Some would have one built in, others won't.

You 12V LEDs have the resistor built in, so they are okay.

Bob

Condo B

Nov 3, 2017
The LEDs in the switches may require a resistor. Some would have one built in, others won't.

You 12V LEDs have the resistor built in, so they are okay.

Bob
So even though the 12v LEDs aren't advertised as having resistors they do? Or should I add one to them just in case? Would a 560 Ohm resistor work for the LEDs? Also do the switches with LED's need resistors? If so would a 560 Ohm resistor work for these? Lastly, is there any hurt in adding a resistor to an LED that already has one? (Just incase I didn't realize it had one already)

Condo B

Nov 3, 2017
Thank you for your insight this is helping me a TON, would this look something like my drawing when it is wired? (obviously there will be more switches and LEDs in the final circuit)View attachment 37293
Also should I add resistors before the LED power input and the switch power input? If so would 560 Ohm resistors work?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The LED lights you linked are intended for direct connection to an auto electric system, which runs 12-14V. Adding a 560 Ohm resistor would likely make them very dim.

The switches you linked appear to be a mixed bag.

Bob

Condo B

Nov 3, 2017
The LED lights you linked are intended for direct connection to an auto electric system, which runs 12-14V. Adding a 560 Ohm resistor would likely make them very dim.

The switches you linked appear to be a mixed bag.

Bob
Alright I have figured a lot of things out thanks to you and others in this forum! Now my question is what kind of resistor will I need to protect an LED that can only run under 2.2v from a 12v power supply?