Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I repair/reconnect printed board connection?

Drue Gray

Jan 7, 2018
The connections on this board have been severed. Can I repair this somehow? If yes, is there a tutorial somewhere on the web? The photo shows a straight line where the thin gold ribbons printed on this board have been severed. Help is greatly appreciated.

Drue Gray

Jan 7, 2018
Photo would not attach. Here is the photo

Attachments

• F767308D-0CD3-4276-A910-8DA229D6DA29.jpeg
    F767308D-0CD3-4276-A910-8DA229D6DA29.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 120

Drue Gray

Jan 7, 2018
Thank you for the replies. My soldering skills are not great. I guess what I really need to know at this point is if I take this to an electronics repair shop, can they repair it? Will it be expensive? It is in a piano that is worth about $300 used. I’m trying to decide if it is cheaper to repair or just find another used piano.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I guess what I really need to know at this point is if I take this to an electronics repair shop, can they repair it?

probably .... I could and have done repairs like that in the past

Will it be expensive? It is in a piano that is worth about $300 used. I’m trying to decide if it is cheaper to repair or just find another used piano.

could easily cost you $300 .... it's going to be very labour intensive

Dave

Drue Gray

Jan 7, 2018
Again, thank you for the reply. Could electric paint be applied in this situation? I’ve never really worked with it. Maybe it’s too messy or the bead would be too thick.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
I Think it is worth a DIY try.
The most you would lose is some time if it fails.

There may be a way to bypass the "fine soldering job":
On the right side you can solder directly at the device pads.
Look to the left of the traces,where do they connect(a photo),if its to relatively large pads your job is easier.
You would need to use thin wires for the bypass repair.

And, we do have a very good soldering guide here at this very forum ;)

Drue Gray

Jan 7, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I will likely give it a shot. I will post any outcome here. I likely won’t get to it for a while though. I Appreciate both the realist responses as well as this last hopeful response. I am especially willing to try because I hate the idea of how much we put in the junkyards these days without a second thought to repairing the item first.

Last edited: