Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why does multi-meter fix snow plow??

Meterman4U

Dec 11, 2017
My r/c controled snow plow stopped responding to commands. No up or down, left or right. I used a small clamp on multi-meter to check out voltages(ok), grounds(ok). While looking at the wiring I set the meter near the receiver(which is entirely encased in a block of resin). I was giving up trying to find the problem when I tried the control for the heck of it. !!! The plow operated like new!! Bottom line: when the meter is on voltage and placed near the receiver the plow works. My question is WHY? Anyone know of a possible permanent fix. Some sort of circuit I can put together. An Arduino library? I find it hard to research because I don't know what is going on with the plow and the meter. Any suggestions will be much appreciated . Thank you

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sounds like your meter makes a nice antenna/range booster for the transmitter.
Can you relocate the box to a better location?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
My r/c controled snow plow stopped responding to commands........................The plow operated like new!! Bottom line: when the meter is on voltage and placed near the receiver the plow works. My question is WHY?

which indicates that
1) there is a receiver antenna fault
2) there is a receiver fault
3) a mixture of both 1 and 2

Dave

Meterman4U

Dec 11, 2017
Can you relocate the box to a better location?
I suspect the same or the meter is boosting the signal. No the receiver location is pretty much fixed. Another thought. Why would I loose the ability to control the plow if it wasn't a problem Before? Thanks for your response

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
I used to have this problem with RC cars due to a tight budget we would just cover the receiver in a bit of tin foil! not the most glamorous way to fix it but it worked!...

also, side note you may want to look into the circuit that is supplying power to that "Reciever" module.. it's plausible that it isn't working optimally causing decreased Rx Power

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I suspect the same or the meter is boosting the signal. No the receiver location is pretty much fixed. Another thought. Why would I loose the ability to control the plow if it wasn't a problem Before? Thanks for your response

you obviously didn't bother to read and acknowledge my response

Meterman4U

Dec 11, 2017
which indicates that
1) there is a receiver antenna fault
2) there is a receiver fault
3) a mixture of both 1 and 2

Dave
Thanks Dave is an antenna a special wire/cable? the one coming out of the block of resin looks like a #16 solid copper wire.

Meterman4U

Dec 11, 2017
I used to have this problem with RC cars due to a tight budget we would just cover the receiver in a bit of tin foil! not the most glamorous way to fix it but it worked!...

also, side note you may want to look into the circuit that is supplying power to that "Reciever" module.. it's plausible that it isn't working optimally causing decreased Rx Power
I am going to try that with the foil wrap. Thanks

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
No the receiver location is pretty much fixed. Another thought. Why would I loose the ability to control the plow if it wasn't a problem Before? Thanks for your response
How about relocating the transmitter or its antenna then? Try keeping it spaced away from any nearby metal.
It's possible that there was radio interference on the same frequency which caused the interruption. Idk.

Meterman4U

Dec 11, 2017
How about relocating the transmitter or its antenna then? Try keeping it spaced away from any nearby metal.
It's possible that there was radio interference on the same frequency which caused the interruption. Idk.
Thanks for the suggestions. The receiver is mounted to the plow frame and isn't really movable. I tried the aluminum foil fix with no luck. I did notice that the placement nearest to the plow pump solenoid with the meter gets the best results. I am going to check out the solenoid.

Meterman4U

Dec 11, 2017
I said Transmitter, which I presume is mounted under the dash, or by the shift console next to the control switches.
Ok..you did say transmitter. The transmitter is wireless. Even when I stand next to where the receiver is, without the meter the plow won't operate.