Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to block Magnetic field coming from substation and underground power to property beside it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karina

Mar 24, 2018
Ive just bought a house next to a substation box ( approx 2mx.75m,1.4 high) the power comes to this box from diagonally accross street, it then goes underground to supply the streets electricity.
I bought an alpha mg meter prior to purchasing. The readings at border of property say 2m from box is 2mg, and above the burried elec is 4mg. In the house it is 1 mg at the higher points. I know Australia suggests this is ok but Im concerned on long term 24 hr a day exposure. I am going to find a way to reduce this and would apprecate any feedback.
Im wanting to get the reading down to as low as I can, it may seem safe at this level but I would like to think you can sleep in a space magnetic field free ( as I have all my life) if you compare 1 mg to standing beside a stronger power line its just 1-1.5m from the wires., its a strong conparable that I am not comfortable with.
The road / box and elec is parallel to the house second story. Then the bottom floor is in line with the underground power ( property is built into a slope). The house is 4-5m from border.
SO - I would love to maybe dig down 2 feet and put a steel fence 1.6m high along border of property, parallel between house and meter/ underground power.
Can anyone suggest if this will reduce a lot of the magnetic field and how thick should the fence be, and what combination of metals please. Im hoping to also reduce front of property. Otherwise sheeting the lining of house second option.
Greatly Appreciate any information.
Thankyou.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, the Earth's magnetic field is one you've been living in all your life (I expect).

If you get yourself a mu-metal box you'll be able to shield yourself (with you inside it).

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
If its mains power 50/60hz it should not be too dangerous for you in any case.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
OK, I will probably make myself unpopular with this.

You were so concerned about the magnetic fields from the box prior to purchasing that you bought an "alpha mg meter".
Why did you proceed with the purchase???
Surely the questions you are asking here should have been asked, and resolved to your satisfaction, BEFORE you bought the house.

My personal belief is that you are concerned about nothing.
Relax, and enjoy your new house, and make it a home that you and your family can be proud of.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Ive just bought a house next to a substation box ( approx 2mx.75m,1.4 high) the power comes to this box from diagonally accross street, it then goes underground to supply the streets electricity.
I bought an alpha mg meter prior to purchasing. The readings at border of property say 2m from box is 2mg, and above the burried elec is 4mg. In the house it is 1 mg at the higher points.

and as some one else said ... " after testing, you bought the house anyway ?? what happened to your worries back then ??

Why are you worried about 1mG (differential) when the Earth's field is ~ 500mG?

This is a completely valid response and so I also ask .... why are you worried ?

Also, inside you house, the stray magnetic fields from all the 240V mains wiring and appliances is going to override any measurements that you think you are recording
from the transformer box many metres distant

you do know people buy bedding that has embedded magnets ? .... apparently it has healing properties

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Also, inside you house, the stray magnetic fields from all the 240V mains wiring and appliances is going to override any measurements that you think you are recording
from the transformer box many metres distant
Agreed.
And if you use a mobile phone, how will you shield yourself from its much stronger field?

Karina

Mar 24, 2018
Agreed.
And if you use a mobile phone, how will you shield yourself from its much stronger field?
I agree. My concern in researching, is that there is constant low range magnetic field over a prolonged time. All household and mobile fields are flash doses. Its the long term biological effect ot can have on the cells in your body Im more worried about. Did you know in Sweden they rate any reading within a living environment over 1mg as castiogenic, up there in level two with tobacco smoking.
I bought the house knowing I am going to create a buffer to re route the magnetic fields.
Some opinions on what to do is what Im after.
Cheers,

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Did you know in Sweden they rate any reading within a living environment over 1mg as castiogenic,

pleased show a reference for that

I'm pretty confident it's garbage

Some opinions on what to do is what Im after.

#1 ... start off by ripping all the mains electrical wiring out of the house
because as already said, the magnetic fields from all the house wiring will be so much stronger than the field from the transformer some distance away

And you obviously didn't see or comprehend the comment about the Earths magnetic field strength being 100's of times stronger

I truly think you are being paranoid and swayed by garbage information from so called health sites

there is NOWHERE on earth that you can go and be below 500mG of the Earth's magnetic field
so what are you going to do about that ??

Last edited:

Karina

Mar 24, 2018
from a study on the effects of magnetic fields on the human body .....
http://www.hydroquebec.com/fields/pdf/pop_23_01.pdf

Study points to note.....
1) ... magnetic fields DO NOT produce cumulative effects
2) ... magnetic fields ARE NOT carcinogenic
thanks Dave, I have seen a lot of reassuring information like that , all by government sites. I appreciate the links.
Regards, Karina

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thanks Dave, I have seen a lot of reassuring information like that , all by government sites. I appreciate the links.
Regards, Karina

you never answered my question

there is NOWHERE on earth that you can go and be below 500mG of the Earth's magnetic field
so what are you going to do about that ??

Dave

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I have just had a couple of MRI scans, I did not notice any physical or mental effects.

In order to shield yor house, you will need a complete screen or the field will come in through the doors and windows. Are you going to rebuild the house on top of a super conducting shield?

Karina

Mar 24, 2018
you never answered my question

Dave
Hi Dave,
Ues, the earths magnetic field is 500mg DC ( nonnoscilating)
The magneticcfields Im discussing are from electro magnetic currents, anything associated with electricity, they are AC magnetic fields. One is natural and keeps life on earth functioning and one is man made.
As for information online - any site linked in with a government site will give you positive safe feedback, and independant researchers will open the doors more on potential dangers of long term low frequency exposure.
240vlt wites will let off fields but you would almost have to be lying on them to get to it.

Karina

Mar 24, 2018
I have just had a couple of MRI scans, I did not notice any physical or mental effects.

In order to shield yor house, you will need a complete screen or the field will come in through the doors and windows. Are you going to rebuild the house on top of a super conducting shield?
Im planning on a steel fence, probably a foot above the height of the box and the lenght of the property, paralell to the underground wires. My aim is to re route the bulk of the fields.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Im planning on a steel fence

That will be extremely effective. After building that fence I am sure you will no longer be affected by the magnetic fields.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
@Karina, you really need to learn some science before arguing against it

eg

Ues, the earths magnetic field is 500mg DC ( nonnoscilating)
The magneticcfields Im discussing are from electro magnetic currents, anything associated with electricity, they are AC magnetic fields. One is natural and keeps life on earth functioning and one is man made.

The Earth's magnetic field IS NOT stationary ... it is constantly oscillating due to the effects of the solar wind pushing against it with a varying force

time for this paranoia to end
thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.