Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair WN3100RP WiFi Range Extender

abdellwahed1

May 14, 2018
After high frequency of the electric current,that burned three components (1 capacitor, 2 resistances), please help me to know the values of these components to change them , and repair the WiFi extender.
aaaf.png

aaaf.png

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the markings have burned off we cannot do that without access to the schematic which is not usually made available to anyone.

Cheaper and easier to purchase another device.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I do not know what value of resistors it needs, but what you have called a capacitor looks more like a 6 pin IC (integrated circuit), possibly a voltage regulator.

abdellwahed1

May 14, 2018
I do not know what value of resistors it needs, but what you have called a capacitor looks more like a 6 pin IC (integrated circuit), possibly a voltage regulator.

Yes you're right, i was wrong , i see a on , a thing like 73e31 694A please have you an idea about this IC
IMG_20180514_183728.jpg

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I have no idea, but now it looks like 4 pins not 6.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
If it's a voltage regulator then a place you could start is draw a bit of the schematic before and after it. It would have connection to a power rail and output to something, perhaps memory or the network processor. You can look up what voltages those parts use and what pin has the connection, if you can find the datasheet for it.

If you know this much about it then you can do a parametric search on an electronics supplier website. For example you could filter the search down to only voltage regulators (or other similar terminology) 6 pins, the same physical package dimensions, and if it's a fixed voltage you can narrow it down more from there.

That could produce a list of regulators and you could look at their datasheets to see which seem to have the same pinout as the one you have, comparing the example circuit in the datasheet to the schematic that I suggested for you to draw above.

However this seems like a risk or waste of effort if you must spend great time and buy parts, uncertain if that's the only problem or if (if it's a regulator at all) the IC it is providing power to has failed and that caused an overload failure of the regulator. Wifi repeaters are not very expensive, and another possibility is that it failed because the AC-DC adapter for it failed. A power surge would have to come in through the AC-DC adapter or a network cable if that is the cause.

If the resistors can be traced to that component and included in a schematic you draw, you might be able to consult the datasheet for a replacement part and deduce what resistor values are needed for it to operate properly.

One thing that would help you is to take much higher resolution, clearer pictures with better lighting. A phone probably isn't capable of that, rather a flatbed scanner or camera with a macro mode.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Damage like that looks to be a precursor to more substantial problems as yet undiscovered.

Seriously, the board is as good as junk. I'd put the chances of fixing it at under 1%.

abdellwahed1

May 14, 2018
If it's a voltage regulator then a place you could start is draw a bit of the schematic before and after it. It would have connection to a power rail and output to something, perhaps memory or the network processor. You can look up what voltages those parts use and what pin has the connection, if you can find the datasheet for it.

If you know this much about it then you can do a parametric search on an electronics supplier website. For example you could filter the search down to only voltage regulators (or other similar terminology) 6 pins, the same physical package dimensions, and if it's a fixed voltage you can narrow it down more from there.

That could produce a list of regulators and you could look at their datasheets to see which seem to have the same pinout as the one you have, comparing the example circuit in the datasheet to the schematic that I suggested for you to draw above.

However this seems like a risk or waste of effort if you must spend great time and buy parts, uncertain if that's the only problem or if (if it's a regulator at all) the IC it is providing power to has failed and that caused an overload failure of the regulator. Wifi repeaters are not very expensive, and another possibility is that it failed because the AC-DC adapter for it failed. A power surge would have to come in through the AC-DC adapter or a network cable if that is the cause.

If the resistors can be traced to that component and included in a schematic you draw, you might be able to consult the datasheet for a replacement part and deduce what resistor values are needed for it to operate properly.

One thing that would help you is to take much higher resolution, clearer pictures with better lighting. A phone probably isn't capable of that, rather a flatbed scanner or camera with a macro mode.
thank you for the detailed explanation, it seems that it is a little complicated since even if I change the IC it may have other problems
Untitled_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: