Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3D printer for replacement plastic parts?

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
I'm very new to 3D printing other than reading some general guides about it. How strong are objects made with 3D printing? For example, is it possible to make a GPS cradle that can withstand both the vibration and high temperature inside a car on a hot summer day? Is it worth it to get a more expensive 3D printer, or do they top out quality-wise at a few hundred bucks with the over $1,000 dollar models simply coming with built-in LCDs and wifi for people who don't want to hook up a computer?

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
Having done some research, I'd like a printer that can handle Nylon printing. Obviously polycarbonate is the best, but it's far too expensive, so nylon and lower (like ABS) will do. What price range am I looking at?

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Hi there. I have an ender 2 printer. From my understanding you could achieve what you want with a cheap end printer like the ender 2 (probably not the ender 2 though!) As long as you were willing to tinker a bit. For example abs usually needs an enclosure to print so that the air around the printing piece is warm. You could get a cheaper printer and build an enclosure round it. You can also print upgrade parts for a printer on the printer. There is also a material called petg which is a bit like abs but easier to print.

I'd certain't say a cheap 3d printer could produce what you want as depending on settings things you print cold prove very sturdy.

My suggestion would be scope out a few options for printers then check out youtube where you will find people trying to print all sorts of things on the price terms. This will give you an idea of what each one can do, how reliably and what modifications are needed.

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
My printer was about £200.

This vid might show you what filament might suit your needs and therefore what printer to get.

Reactions: Ian

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Don't use PLA filament if you want the printed article to withsatand heat or the environment. It has a low melting point and is bio-degradable.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Pardon my spoon in your plate; just saw yesterday on a Japanese TV channel they invented this pen:

---->

Enjoy.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
I've printed parts that sit in the sun (in the UK), and I've opted for PETG as it prints nicely and doesn't have the awful fumes that ABS release. PLA filament wouldn't last long on a hot day!

There are lots of low price 3D printers available now, so no need to spend $1000+

The Prusa MK2S/MK3 printers are really nice ($500 to $750 for kits) - I would buy an MK3 if I were buying a new printer today. The new models are so easy to use and very reliable. There are cheaper kits like the Monoprice MP Select Mini and CR-10, but they don't have some of the helpful features that the Prusa MK3 has (but are good with some work).

I don't see any reason why you couldn't print parts for a GPS holder on almost any 3D printer, as long as you buy the appropriate filament :).

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
I've printed parts that sit in the sun (in the UK), and I've opted for PETG as it prints nicely and doesn't have the awful fumes that ABS release. PLA filament wouldn't last long on a hot day!

There are lots of low price 3D printers available now, so no need to spend $1000+

The Prusa MK2S/MK3 printers are really nice ($500 to $750 for kits) - I would buy an MK3 if I were buying a new printer today. The new models are so easy to use and very reliable. There are cheaper kits like the Monoprice MP Select Mini and CR-10, but they don't have some of the helpful features that the Prusa MK3 has (but are good with some work).

I don't see any reason why you couldn't print parts for a GPS holder on almost any 3D printer, as long as you buy the appropriate filament :).
That's what I mean I want either a printer than can print nylon out of the box or one that can be upgraded, but I need the upgrade procedure before I buy so I don't buy something I can't use.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
The Prusa MK2S/3 both look like they support Nylon printing:

https://www.prusa3d.com/material-guides/

The default slicer software for the printer also includes default settings for Taulman Bridge Nylon - however you'll likely need to modify the print surface as Nylon won't stick to most beds (especially PEI): https://help.prusa3d.com/l/en/article/UdxnagXRY7-increasing-pei-adhesion

Prusa3d.com has an online chat with very knowledgeable support guys, so try running a question about Nylon past them and I'm sure they'll let you know how the printer handles it.