Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rhino air hockey

Ronald Anderson

Jun 6, 2018
I have a rhino air hockey table mobile go3996 2005 model the led scoreboard is not getting power.. how do I test the ac dc

adaptor and or where can I buy parts for this table.. also the adaptor I have is input 120vaC 60Hz 9w. AND output 6dc 400ma

will a similar adaptor work that has same specs but is 300ma output. thanks

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You'd measure the output from the adapter with a multimeter as a start.

While I wouldn't recommend powering the display with a 6VDC 300mA adapter normally, if the plug is the right size (and right polarity) I might plug it in just long enough to see if the display lights up and starts working, then immediately stop using it and get one rated for at least 400mA.

I'd assume you would contact Rhino to see if they supply any other parts (or possibly used parts on ebay?) but for a 6V, 400mA or higher current power adapter you can probably find it one cheaper elsewhere, either amazon, ebay, or some electronics surplus websites, though 6V is less common than 12V so some of us might whip something up out of spare parts we already had.

Assuming it uses a barrel plug, make sure the replacement has the same size plug, both outer dimensions and inner. Here are a few, though personally I would be tempted to try an old 5V cell phone charger to see if it'll run off 5V because I have a few of those lying around:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=6V+adapter

Ronald Anderson

Jun 6, 2018
You'd measure the output from the adapter with a multimeter as a start.

While I wouldn't recommend powering the display with a 6VDC 300mA adapter normally, if the plug is the right size (and right polarity) I might plug it in just long enough to see if the display lights up and starts working, then immediately stop using it and get one rated for at least 400mA.

I'd assume you would contact Rhino to see if they supply any other parts (or possibly used parts on ebay?) but for a 6V, 400mA or higher current power adapter you can probably find it one cheaper elsewhere, either amazon, ebay, or some electronics surplus websites, though 6V is less common than 12V so some of us might whip something up out of spare parts we already had.

Assuming it uses a barrel plug, make sure the replacement has the same size plug, both outer dimensions and inner. Here are a few, though personally I would be tempted to try an old 5V cell phone charger to see if it'll run off 5V because I have a few of those lying around:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=6V+adapter
Thanks is thee any way to use multimeter to test ac dc adaptor and rhino is discontinued so I am trying to find parts maybe the led board.. How do I know if its getting power and test it..

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It is a simple DC voltage measurement with a multimeter. As far as the LED board goes, it might be repairable, could be something as simple as the power input socket having a cracked solder joint that needs resoldered or otherwise fixed in place then a jumper wire used to complete the circuit.

Ronald Anderson

Jun 6, 2018
It is a simple DC voltage measurement with a multimeter. As far as the LED board goes, it might be repairable, could be something as simple as the power input socket having a cracked solder joint that needs resoldered or otherwise fixed in place then a jumper wire used to complete the circuit.
David I know nothing about electronics the led board says its a 403 a I am trying to find a replacement for the hockey scoreboard for a rhino g03396 hockey table , the switchs don't turn on with power, except the blower motor. any help would be appreciated Thanks

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I don't know any sources for air hockey replacement parts except the manufacturer or ebay. You might see if there are local dealers who sell such things and ask them or a referral to a repairman.

The key thing in my mind is to first determine if it is even the board or instead the power supply to it. If you can't find a replacement board then repairing whichever portion is broken at a discrete component level is what remains.

Ronald Anderson

Jun 6, 2018
I don't know any sources for air hockey replacement parts except the manufacturer or ebay. You might see if there are local dealers who sell such things and ask them or a referral to a repairman.

The key thing in my mind is to first determine if it is even the board or instead the power supply to it. If you can't find a replacement board then repairing whichever portion is broken at a discrete component level is what remains.
I bought from amazon.

Shelti Blue Line Electronic Scoring Unit

Sold by: Recrooms
AND A SHELTI CABLE. HOPE ALL WORKS

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ It would be easy to say yes, it seems right to connect it like you think the old one was connected, but if you want to be sure then you need to assess it more and/or tell us and provide pics.

If there is a spec for the voltage it uses then you can measure the voltage on the wires you plan to connect. I assume this is all that remains since inherently it would need some way to connect a data line for scoring??

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I still don't understand what you're asking. You may need to elaborate more and indicate the wires on the pictures.

Don't you have the old display module so you can compare how it was hooked up and duplicate that on the new one?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
If I were there to get a better look and probe, probably but you're not giving me enough info that I can be confident that I wouldn't tell you wrong and cause damage.

brianimpey

Aug 10, 2019
Hi Ronald,
I have one of the scoreboards like the one in the pictures of the wiring that you posted. I bought it used and for some reason someone had pulled off a bunch of the wires. I was able to see some from your picture but I can't tell where the red, black and four (2 whites are still attached around center and 3/4 way down on the board) white wires go that come form the main 8 pin plug (only 6 pins used), The white wires that need connecting are the one opposite of the red wire and the white wire 2 pins over from the one opposite of the red wire. Hope you can help. Thanks

Ronald Anderson

Jun 6, 2018
brianimpey , I am still try to fix this scoreboard, I bought another new one but does not have imput for the white wires.. I tried connecting the white cable to old scoreboard , but does not work. The new one has not white wires, could I solder the white wires from old scoreboard to one of the wires in new scoreboard. I only have black and red and maybe green Thanks