Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Converting an old Generator for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.

asuchander

Sep 12, 2018
Hi,

I have an old coleman powermate generator (it was only $100) that outputs 5000W at 220V . It currently has a NEMA15-20R outlet.

My house, on the other hand, is newer and has a NEMA NEMA L14-30 port on it that's hooked up to a sub panel to power various things (like a well pump, for example.)

I'm thinking that I can create a female L14 connector, connect the ground wire to the chassis of the generator, then connect the G of the 15-20R plug to the neutral of the L14 plug, and then connect each of the hots on the 15-20R plug to the two hots on the generator - which should let me power both busses and get 220V where needed.

Does that make sense, or does it seem like I'm gonna burn my house down?

Also, I have a 50' lon L14-30 cable - is that too long to actually make work properly , or do I need to use something like a jumper cable to jumper the generator chassis to the electrical panel (to get an ideal ground?)

thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Honestly, for your own safety and that of others, get yourself a qualified electrician to take a look.
For one thing, I imagine the 50 ft extension is way too long for many reasons and there is no mention of any safety cut breakers etc. ( Safety Switch, ELCB , RCD ....known by many things)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Honestly, for your own safety and that of others, get yourself a qualified electrician to take a look.
For one thing, I imagine the 50 ft extension is way too long for many reasons and there is no mention of any safety cut breakers etc. ( Safety Switch, ELCB , RCD ....known by many things)

Completely agree

DO NOT do any connections that could allow mains supply from the local power grid to mix with power from your generator
there are fail safe systems that are used to guarantee that locally supplied power can never leave the house and out onto the local grid

SEEK PROPPER QUALIFIED HELP

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.